Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I had bettas as a kid but always in a 1-2 gallon set up which I now know was not the best for them. I've been trying to educate myself more on fish care the last few years in preparation for buying a tank and trying to have fish again. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I was around fish and other pets a lot as a kid, between my father's freshwater community tank, the aforementioned bettas, my aunt's red-eared slider turtle in a huge (100+ gallon) aquarium, dwarf frogs I had when I was a kid (up until my mom got tired of live feedings and legitimately thought that the frogs would get along with the turtle) (I had the misfortune of visiting my precious frogs only to bare witness to the last 2 of them getting killed by the turtle), a very short experience as the owner of a few goldfish won from the local fair before they died from lack of proper care and environment due to the 1-gallon tank my family assured me they'd do well in, and also some hermit crabs for awhile.

I'm leaning towards betta fish but I also kind of want multiple fish to watch them swim around. I recently bought a 10-gallon tank that came with a cover, heater, filter, etc so now I just have to figure out what fish will work well in the tank and what decorations, rocks, etc I will need. I've thought about maybe guppies, tetras, cory catfish, or maybe rasboras as options. I've also considered African dwarf frogs, ghost shrimp, and mystery snails as possible non-fish alternatives. However, I have an unusual problem: I have a shellfish allergy. It didn't kick in until I reached adulthood so I never noticed an issue with my pet hermit crabs or handling wild snails, but now I'm worried that I could potentially get sick from handling or being around shrimp or snails. I'm not sure if this is the case and there are a lot of confusing stuff on the internet on the subject.

I'm looking for advice concerning what fish (or other animals) would do well in a 10-gallon tank considering my allergy and some but not much experience, as well as what decorations and the like would be best. I know small rocks are best, and I plan to get live plants, but I also know that bettas need things to hide in and the like.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi! We're really glad you're here!!

There is a lot of information in the links here, and I must say that I'm glad to hear, after some of the things you've been through, that you are willing to dive (heh, pardon the pun lol) into the truly awesome world of bettas.

·
Registered
"Buddy"
125 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I believe it's only with ingestion, inhalation, and prolonged exposure (touching long enough for it to absorb into skin) that would set off your shellfish allergy as allergies to things are more specifically allergies to the particular make-up of proteins within the allergens and can't imagine you'd have a lot of invert proteins in the water.

If the allergy isn't severe you could test it at your own risk by taking your meds with you just in case and find a fish store you'll let you do a skin spot test with some water from their shrimp tank because touch at most is how you're going to be exposed to them.
Or play it safer and if you have your heart set on shrimp though you can always keep a dedicated pair of rubber gloves just for doing stuff with the tank.
Or to play it extra extra safe I think you can push for a shall shoal of 6 otocinclas (if it's an algae eater you're looking for) in a 10 gal, but you'd want to put them in 2 at a time and wait a week or two between adding another pair because 6 all in one go is likely to cause an ammonia spike.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,179 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Get a bottle of SeaChem Stability. Each time you add new fish use a dose. It, in essences, fertilizes the nitrifying bacteria. I only purchase fish online and often add 20+ at a time. Using Stability I've not experienced a cycle crash or mini-cycle.

Some fish can be iffy. Some are very fragile and easily stressed. If the tank isn't cycled and fully mature they die. This is especially true if fish are wild-caught which many are. AquaticArts is the only seller I've found that notes when fish are tank raised. It carries tank-raised Oto.

It will be easier to help you when you decide whether to house a Betta or not. Otherwise, information will conflict. If you decide not, this can be moved to "Other Fish."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. I had bettas as a kid but always in a 1-2 gallon set up which I now know was not the best for them. I've been trying to educate myself more on fish care the last few years in preparation for buying a tank and trying to have fish again. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I was around fish and other pets a lot as a kid, between my father's freshwater community tank, the aforementioned bettas, my aunt's red-eared slider turtle in a huge (100+ gallon) aquarium, dwarf frogs I had when I was a kid (up until my mom got tired of live feedings and legitimately thought that the frogs would get along with the turtle) (I had the misfortune of visiting my precious frogs only to bare witness to the last 2 of them getting killed by the turtle), a very short experience as the owner of a few goldfish won from the local fair before they died from lack of proper care and environment due to the 1-gallon tank my family assured me they'd do well in, and also some hermit crabs for awhile.

I'm leaning towards betta fish but I also kind of want multiple fish to watch them swim around. I recently bought a 10-gallon tank that came with a cover, heater, filter, etc so now I just have to figure out what fish will work well in the tank and what decorations, rocks, etc I will need. I've thought about maybe guppies, tetras, cory catfish, or maybe rasboras as options. I've also considered African dwarf frogs, ghost shrimp, and mystery snails as possible non-fish alternatives. However, I have an unusual problem: I have a shellfish allergy. It didn't kick in until I reached adulthood so I never noticed an issue with my pet hermit crabs or handling wild snails, but now I'm worried that I could potentially get sick from handling or being around shrimp or snails. I'm not sure if this is the case and there are a lot of confusing stuff on the internet on the subject.

I'm looking for advice concerning what fish (or other animals) would do well in a 10-gallon tank considering my allergy and some but not much experience, as well as what decorations and the like would be best. I know small rocks are best, and I plan to get live plants, but I also know that bettas need things to hide in and the like.
Maybe some kuhli loaches, or harlequin rasboras? At least 5 so that they feel relaxed enough to do stuff. I'd say kuhlis, especially if you're putting down sand or finer substrate, for a 10gal because my 5 harlequins play up and down all ends of my 30gal whereas the kuhlis probably don't need that much space.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,179 Posts
Species profiles go by footprint and not gallons because it is the swimming length and not amount of water a tank holds which is most important.

About the only shoaling fish suitable to a 10 gallon (20" x 10") are smaller Nano fish of under 1" like Chili Rasbora and Ember Tetra. Shoalers need a minimum of 8-10 members but can get by with as few as six. They need 12 or more and a heavily-planted tank (75%) if housed with a predator like a Betta.

According to species profiles, Kuhli Loaches need a tank footprint a minimum of 24" x 12". Keenamoss is absolutely spot-on about sand substrate. Any fish that is a bottom dweller like the Kuhli and Cory need a soft substrate like sand.

Among smaller tanks, a 20 long (30" x 12" x 12") offers more stocking options. When you purchase another tank, that's what I'd suggest. Or, any tank at least 30" wide.

Good luck enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts