Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my vt girls arent pure vt there halfmoon dragon also would i be better off breeding them to hmdt so that maybe could i possibly get a vt thats maybe a lil stronger look to them and may not have such a long of an anal fin aleast thats what im trying to do here are there pics let me no please and thanks in advance obviously the first 2 picks have the more common vt traight the long draggy fin but peet the next 1 after what u think could i achieve that maybe with her i have another just like her not pictured thanks

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
ok my vt girls arent pure vt there halfmoon dragon also would i be better off breeding them to hmdt so that maybe could i possibly get a vt thats maybe a lil stronger look to them and may not have such a long of an anal fin aleast thats what im trying to do here are there pics let me no please and thanks in advance obviously the first 2 picks have the more common vt traight the long draggy fin but peet the next 1 after what u think could i achieve that maybe with her i have another just like her not pictured thanks
Your females are VT and they are not dragons.
Do you know the genetic background of the fish?
Personally I wouldn't breed any of them because they have many issues in form BUT...
Getting rid of a long anal fin is something that takes a little work and you might not see good results until the 3rd generation. It will require very selective breeding and a lot of culling.
If you breed them to an HM you will get deltas. You will have to pick an HM with a short anal fin.
You mention you want to shorten their anal fin, what if you plan for the caudal?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are half dragons i bred them myself daddy was yellow turqoisedragon hm mom was white turqoise vt you say there have flaws would you please point them out to me so i may learn from this ill just discontinue the line they also spit out cambodians here are there brothers pics enjoy

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
They definitely aren't dragons, what do you mean by half dragon? Recessive trait? If so then they easily could be half of anything else aswell without knowing the genetic backround. There are lots of recessive traits that could come out with this spawn

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I honestly ant aware of those IBC Betta standars and what makes a great fish But the Anal fins look a bit Long and the dorsals look to , small and thin on the 2 and 3 one. They also have somewhat unbalanced fins. Please don't trust all of this information unless a knowledgable breeder such as Mr. V. Or indjo has confirmed these

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The only thing that I don't udder stand about that guide, is why it doesn't help determine one that isn't very good, how you tell it's not good, and how proper females should look

·
Registered
639 Posts
The only thing that I don't udder stand about that guide, is why it doesn't help determine one that isn't very good, how you tell it's not good, and how proper females should look
It's just a guide. I don't take too much about what others say is good or bad, really it is up to you unless you want to breed for show. If you want more than a guide, then I suppose joining the IBC and just observing what they consider as best of show material would be best.

Good luck,
Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts