Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this guy five days ago... I had to pass him up then because I didn't have a spare tank at the time. Yesterday, I found him again and decided to bring him home so he would have a fighting chance to live. He has a few problems, probably due to the terrible water in his cup, but I don't know how or what to start medicating him with. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal at the moment
What temperature is your tank? The strip thermometer says 76, but I know it has a 2 degree error, so it's more like 78.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? At the moment, I'm feeding him Hikari Micro pellets because he's so small.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Today I gave him 3 meals of 8 pellets, but other feeding suggestions are welcome.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I will be changing it daily.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I am planning on doing full changes (I have yet to do one today).
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just got him yesterday. He has curled fins that are clamped up a bit, although less than they were yesterday. His one eye is fogged up, he looks as though he has been underfed, and I think I found an abrasion or two on his face (I'm not really sure whether or not they are ammonia burns or something else).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When I got him, he had been sitting at the top of his cup. I thought he was dead at first, but he started swimming around when I picked up the cup to check him out. He was swimming around the tank when I first put him in, and today he seems much better as far as activity goes. He eats like a pig, and he even made a small bubble nest.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I found the guy originally 5 days ago, and he had basically the same symptoms as described before. Part of the reason I picked him up was because I knew he had been sick for so long.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not really. I gave him fresh, heated water and feeding him regularly, but after that, I don't really know what to do.

P.S. I didn't name him yet in case he didn't make it through the night. There's something about naming things that makes me more attached to them. Any name suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Honestly It just seems like he needs some clean water.

I would only feed him 2 meals of maybe 4 pellets at each meal. However, you pellets are also very high in fillers. I would suggest switching to Omega One Brand or New Life Spectrum. Omega One has Marine Micro Pellets that are extremely tiny if that is your concern.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I just had them because it was the only thing available to me when I got Sassy as a baby... And this guy is so small. I have some NLS for bettas that I could crush for him for now til I can get what you suggested. Considering the NLS are kinda big, how many of those should I give him?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts