Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother recently bought a betta on the convincing of a local fish shop (-.-) and had him for one day in her 29g tropical community tank. Well, he didn't look so good. Was hiding out in the plants and such and at one point was lying on his side at the bottom. I offered to try giving him a chance to recoup at my home.

I put him into my Fluval III that houses 2 apples and 2 nerites. Lightly planted. I had been seasoning the ceramic media in my goldfish tank for several weeks so the params are good. There was noticeable change in behavior (like no bottom lying) however he seems like he's either shy or perhaps sick because he still hides behind/under things. His dorsal fin is shaped like a V and I don't know if this can be normal shape of if it had rotted away at some point. (pic of fin)

Maybe most worrisome is the lack of interest in food. I feed my betta the Repashy Meat Pie variety, OO Betta Buffet pellet and the frozen blood worms. The only thing this betta ate with zeal was a few frozen blood worms. Doesn't care when I put food in the tank, though when I come back later it is gone. I just don't know who is eating what. Haven't really seen any betta poops in that tank iirc.

Thoughts on what to do is appreciated. I thought about picking up some StressGuard, will that be helpful at all? Can he be fine eating just frozen blood worms until he warms up to eating other foods?

·
Registered
490 Posts
He will continue to eat frozen blood worms until you force him to eat pelleted food. While bloodworms are good protein, they aren't a complete diet, which is why you should try to get him to eat his dry food. Usually you just have to wait him out before he'll get hungry enough to accept the food he doesn't want. I'm going through that stage right now with two new bettas. If for some reason they became really ill or near death, I would give them frozen bloodworms, but most fish will not let themselves starve to death.

As for the stressguard, couldn't hurt! I'm sure the water he's in is heated? And the flow of the filter in the Spec isn't too strong for him? He should perk up soon if so. Sounds like he is in good hands now!

His fins don't look black at the edges, so I'd say they're OK. He may just have irregularly shaped fins, or they were torn at some point in his life and won't grow back.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Bettas can become very shy when they are stressed out, such as moving to a new environment. Temperature of the water can also contribute to this - is your Fluval heated? It needs to be minimally 78 degrees for your betta. It's also really normal for bettas to not want to eat at first. Those are all good foods you are offering him. I would push the meat pie and the OO pellets on him, though the bloodworms are also good for him.

It's odd that it's just that one spot of his fin missing. It doesn't look ragged or anything does it? Not red or black at the edges? I'd think he's biting it (or something else was), but it's odd that it's just in that one spot.

Do you have a water test kit? Apple snails can produce a lot of waste. Two of them in there plus the addition of a betta might warrant some careful water monitoring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I will try to get him eating the staple foods. I keep goldfish, I'm not used to a fish that turns their nose up at food. :p

Unfortunately I did not have a little heater on hand as it was kind of a rushed situation but I have ordered a 25w Jager off Amazon with Prime so that will be here tomorrow. Oh and I have a little fluval edge prefilter sponge stuck over the output for now.

The edges don't look black or red or anything odd just the shape and didn't know if it's normal.

As for the snails I intended to put them into my 10g with a male betta but he was bullying them. I have an order of more plants and a larger driftwood coming so I plan to try them again in the 10g and maybe with more plants he will leave them alone. :/ Or at the very least move the nerites into my 10.

I do have the API master test kit that I use. Everything so far has been good. I keep on regular weekly changes.

I'll pick up some StressGuard and see how it goes.

Thank you for the quick replies. :)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Im going through a similar thing with my new EE betta. He seems to be a very picky eater and is hiding a lot.

Basically, he wouldn't eat anything I gave him. So i just waited. I tried to feed him each day at night. Finally today he seemed hungry enough and ate some brine shrimp. So I wouldn't worry. Just keep trying. It might take a few days.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Oh that's a little better in a 5 gallon tank than a 3 gallon! Poor little snails - we definitely don't want them to be bullied. I'd say as long as his fins don't look black/melty or red/bloody, then just clean warm water is what he needs. Give him some time to warm up. If you feel like he's stressed, keep the lights off as much as you can, and give him as much face time as you can - with my work desktop betta, he was really shy at first, so I would just stick my giant face calmly a foot or so away from his tank and watch him. I kept as still as I could, and eventually he started coming out to wiggle around at me and after that, he wasn't shy at all. He just needed to get used to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts