Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I took a job where I have been given the responsibility to take care of the fish tanks and betta fish. This is a mega big box store chain. I’d like to do my best once the fish have been delivered into my care. I am appalled at the conditions all fish arrive. The bettas in small cups arrive in an inch or two of water.:frown2:

My manager has agreed to let me set NEW policy as to the care from past policy. My question to all of you is this. Keeping in mind the bettas must remain in the shipping cups until sold, what can I do best for them?

I am thinking of mixing up a gallon of water, declorinate it and add Tetra BettaSafe Aquarium Water Conditioner. Take this water and replace old water with this new mixture.

CURRENTLY I am seeing a lot of fungal growth and loosing them. Understand I can’t control the water temps.... any ideas?

All comments, questions and concerns are welcome. Looking for good realistic advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi, I understand that you probably are not in control of the Betta housing ( Is there any way you could change/ recommend they be housed in heated filtered divided tanks?) but I will try and give you the best advice I can considering the situation.

I would recommend using Seachem Prime water conditioner as it is highly recommended here and has many added benefits including temporarily detoxifying Ammonia. The link is here below.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-...g/prime-aquarium-water-conditioner-17551.html

In such small cups daily water changes must be done for each betta. How do they normally do water changes? If they are using equipment from one cup to the other the disease is cross contaminating to every fish there. To avoid cross contamination either a small siphon or turkey baster for each individual Betta could be used for water changes. When adding clean water back in the cup, the Bettas would probably be pushed around, which would be stressful. A small funnel could be used when adding the water, so that it is slowly draining back into the cup without pushing the betta around.
The best thing would to treat any sick Bettas before putting them up for sale. It sounds as if some of them have fungus, but it would help if you uploaded a clear picture of each sick Betta before I comment on a treatment.

The best thing for the Bettas is to have warm clean water and plenty of space to swim. A healthy diet is important as well, New life spectrum small fish formula is an excellent brand of food for them. It would be great if the store would advertise the proper environment for Bettas to their customers so the Bettas go to homes they will thrive in.

Here is a good checklist for new Betta owners:

Minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank ( The bigger the better!)
Heater
Filter
Water conditioner
High quality food
Water testing kits
plenty of soft decorations like silk or live plants that will not tear fins. Cave like hiding places with holes big enough they wont get stuck.
Syphon or Turkey Baster for tank cleaning

I will be checking back on this thread tomorrow and by then other members might have replied as well. If you have any more questions please ask. :)

I forgot to add, make sure that any water added to the cups is the same temperature as the old water to avoid shocking the Betta.

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
My thoughts:

- Daily water changes using Seachem Prime dechlorinator.
- Separate freshwater and waste water containers for water changes.
- Store them in shallow shelves on the second shelf and lower (you don't want to keep them multiple cups deep as people will move and jostle them a look to get to the ones in the back, or the ones in the back stand less of a chance of getting adopted. You also want them on the second shelf to hopefully keep them from the bright lights 24 x 7).
- If you're changing water once a day, you can feed them once a day but not as much as if they are home, you don't want them to pollute the water as much.

- Nice to have if you can drape a sheet over the shelf for the night since I don't believe the lights in the store go out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Very kind of you to stick up for them and change your company's policies! That's amazing and I'm sure the betta's will thank you even for a little bit of help during the stressful time for them. I agree with what was stated previously. I'm sure frequent water changes with de-chlorinated water will help them wonders. As for space and heating, too bad you can't really help those factors. Thank you for helping them!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure how much help I can be, as I'm new to the forums here & do not have a veterinary degree, however - I have 10 healthy, happy Bettas (male & female, lone rangers as well as a sorority tank). I'm doing something right.

Also, importantly, I have 14 years of retail & inventory experience (I work for a multinational giant) including 4 years of warehouse & inventory management experience. I work with pet supplies frequently at my regular job & deal with district & regional management regularly. I deal with store management constantly & make middle management decisions hourly.

I hope I can help you with anything. I abhor the conditions in which retailers keep Bettas & absolutely despise the willful ignorance they espouse in favor of marketing & profits. I. Am. Sickened. By capitalist exploitation of this precious species.

So please don't hesitate to PM me or post here with Betta, retail, inventory, management negotiation or even possible policy questions. I will fight for these fish.

The corporation I work for sometimes sells live fish at supercenters. Mine will not sell Bettas (If the department manager orders them I cancel & override). They can come at me if they want but they'll regret it. That's the kind of guy I am.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not much you can do working in a chain store, the fish must remain in the cups, the only thing you can do is add a bit of aquarium salt + do more frequent water changes.
Good advice.

An important point is to make sure the salt is completely dissolved & mixed with the conditioned water you're adding. Add it gently, gradually if possible. I think it could be over-done in such tiny cups, although the benefits of salt far outweigh the risks. I'd say for each tiny cup I would dissolve 4 or 5 grains of salt.

I'd also attempt to suggestive-sell a box of aquarium salt with each fish. When you're helping the customer select a Betta, let them know the pH benefits, scale & gill benefits, & overall tank health aspect of using a small amount.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You should be proud of yourself for speaking up! And look what happened because of it. Well done! Can you spring for some stress guard? I'd throw a few drops of that in the cup. Honestly...whatever you can manage to do will be a heck of a lot better than they were before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should be proud of yourself for speaking up! And look what happened because of it. Well done! Can you spring for some stress guard? I'd throw a few drops of that in the cup. Honestly...whatever you can manage to do will be a heck of a lot better than they were before.
Also great advice.

I like to use API Stress Coat too, 1ml per cup would help grow out & heal their fins with aloe, plus it has the chlorine eliminator built in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts