Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, again,

Firstly, thank you all for your time and assistance. Unfortunately, I’m posting here again because Leo’s fins are looking worse and I fear this is aggressive fin rot (I last posted on 4/5/21). I’ve spent hours reading over previous posts and I’m confused on how to proceed. I’ve completed a round of Kanaplex (This improved his behavior, he had more energy and swam more, but his fins show no sign of re-growth, yet. 4 days later). I’m also confused about temp; I’ve read conflicting info like, decreasing the temp to 78-79F is good because it’s less ideal for bacteria. But, another reply I came across said to up the temp to 82-83F to encourage fin growth. Please help!

Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons

Does it have a filter? Yes, hang-on filter.

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? Currently 79*F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? An air stone that is not running 24/7.

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, except for a few opportunistic snails and one assassin snail.

May I add, I have a piece of wood, some betta hammocks, a Betta Log, some real plants, a betta “bed” (fake lotus flower) and 2 big IAL. Should I remove the wood? Other accessories? Could they be harbouring fin rot bacteria?

Food:

What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum

Do you feed flakes or pellets? small pellets

Freeze-dried? No, quit freeze-dried months ago

How often do you feed your Betta? 2-3x per day How much? 3-8 small pellets

Lately, I’ve been feeding Leo frozen blood worms about every other day, in addition to some small pellets, to increase his protein, and hopefully beef up his immune system.

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week

*However, since this has been ongoing, I’ve been changing water 2x per week, doing ⅓ one day and ½ WC two to three days later.

What percentage of water did you change? One-third mostly, sometimes one-half

What is the source of your water? ⅔ tap and ⅓ RO water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime to condition water and sometimes API Stresscoat (And, now Seachem Stability after a round of Kanaplex)

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Seachem ammonia alert shows <0.02ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: Looks to be 0

pH: About 7.3

Hardness (GH): Looks to be between 60 ppm

Alkalinity (KH): Looks to be between 80 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? (From 4/5/21) It’s been very gradual. Leo began noticeably biting his fins one month ago and his fins look worse and more tattered. Also, he doesn’t dive anymore. He bobs at the top of the water. He isn’t lop-sided, or side-swimming, he stays upright. But, if he tries to swim down, he immediately floats up to the surface. I have removed a bridge decoration, a mystery snail, kept the water pristine with 2 water changes per week now and blocked off sight to an adjoining aquarium that may have caused stress.

(From 4/24/21) After a 7-day treatment of Kanaplex, I noticed Leo swimming lots more and sometimes diving down a few inches in the water. He seemed more alert. I began the treatment on 4/14/21 and ended it 4/20/21 by adding the carbon back to his filter and performing a 75%WC. I’ve been waiting for new fin growth and I’m not seeing it, which has me really concerned.

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are tattered-looking, split and now holes. Worse than ever.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? (4/5/21)Leo doesn’t dive to the bottom anymore and he doesn’t swim around as much. (Now) He remains at the top of his tank, mostly.

Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he has always kept his appetite.

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I added API Stress Coat when performing water changes and have 2 big IAL in tank permanently. I change water 2x per week now and, as stated above, have performed one round of Kanaplex.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? (Old) Not really but upon learning that he’s a rosetail, we’ve had to make numerous changes and accommodations for him, which we do gladly.(Now) I guess I would say “yes” at this point.

How long have you owned your Betta? About 9 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, but he was a Petco purchase.

***I’m not at my wit’s end yet, but let’s just say I’m in the final stretch.

Things I have NOT done:

I have NOT performed API salt treatments. Should I? I bought the stuff but then read conflicting recommendations on the forum, so any advice is appreciated.

I have not switched Leo to a hospital tank. I have not done this because I can’t find a reliable heater, in my research, that would fit. (Yes, I’m also hung up on a new, smaller housing outfit. The heater I have for his 5 gal is reliable but not fully submersible. A smaller tank woudln’t give me clearance for the heater’s water line. Plus, I need a lid due to cats. Any recommendations on that would be great!). That said, that is why I kept Leo in his tank to administer Kanaplex. I did remove the carbon filter cartridge. Should I have removed his wood and other accessories?

**Could I float Leo in a smaller container, in his 5 gallon, and treat him within the smaller container?

I have not made IAL tea...should I do that?

Lastly, my question is this: has anyone successfully treated aggressive fin rot? What worked??

I am prepared to buy a new tank, and even a new heater (if it meets the criteria of submersible, temp adjustable and reliable), and I have a new sponge filter ready to go.

PS Thank you sooooo much to everyone who has read my posts and offered help, suggestions and advice. I truly appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Oh no, I’m so sorry I know you have worked so hard for Leo.
if memory serves me correctly you bought the topfin 3 gal tank that I have. You could use one of the small preset heaters from petsmart if it’s all you can do. I have small 50w adjustable heaters in mine.
since you have done the kanaplex have his fins receded more? Sometimes it takes a little while to notice the regrowth, especially if they bite. If you can get a different heater I would definitely move him to the 3 gallon and add some IAL. The stronger the tea the better. If it were my fish I would hold off on the salt for now and see if he improves any. If he is losing more fins in a few days than you may need to do another round of meds.
Take pictures every day so you can track the fin loss.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Hey there. This does seem to be an aggressive form of fin rot. Sometimes Kanaplex can take 2-3 treatments to be affective. Personally if this is my fish, here is what I would recommend.
1) Treat for 1 week with 50% daily water changes and Indian Almond Leaves (boil the leaves, let sit overnight, put water in the next day.) See if there is any improvement with that.
2) If no results show up, I would do another round of Kanaplex with daily Methelyne Blue dips for 1 hour (I use Seachem Paraguard.) I have found this to be the best way to treat aggressive fin rot.

And yes, please take pictures every day.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Hey there. This does seem to be an aggressive form of fin rot. Sometimes Kanaplex can take 2-3 treatments to be affective. Personally if this is my fish, here is what I would recommend.
1) Treat for 1 week with 50% daily water changes and Indian Almond Leaves (boil the leaves, let sit overnight, put water in the next day.) See if there is any improvement with that.
2) If no results show up, I would do another round of Kanaplex with daily Methelyne Blue dips for 1 hour (I use Seachem Paraguard.) I have found this to be the best way to treat aggressive fin rot.

Agreed! I forgot to add the bit about water changes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, I’m so sorry I know you have worked so hard for Leo.
if memory serves me correctly you bought the topfin 3 gal tank that I have. You could use one of the small preset heaters from petsmart if it’s all you can do. I have small 50w adjustable heaters in mine.
since you have done the kanaplex have his fins receded more? Sometimes it takes a little while to notice the regrowth, especially if they bite. If you can get a different heater I would definitely move him to the 3 gallon and add some IAL. The stronger the tea the better. If it were my fish I would hold off on the salt for now and see if he improves any. If he is losing more fins in a few days than you may need to do another round of meds.
Take pictures every day so you can track the fin loss.
It's hard for me to tell if Leo's fins have receded in the past 4 days since ending the Kanaplex treatment. I can certainly tell that they've receded in the past 3 weeks. I will def take pics everyday for comparison, though. Great idea, thank you!

(I returned the 3 gallon kit. The lid didn't work well for me and I read that the filter was abysmal, at best. I think you had mentioned that too.) Later today, I'm picking up a 2.5 gallon and 2 different heaters to try (one may be too long). I'll diy some type of lid.

Hoping by tomorrow I can give him his first IAL tea.

Again, thank you so, so much!!!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you so much! When people say, "If it were my fish....", it really helps me follow a plan of action. Plus, the way you listed steps helps me immensely.

I'll be picking up a new, smaller tank and heater today and hope to have this all set up for IAL tea tomorrow.

Your help and suggestions are very much appreciated--thank you again!

PS I'll post updates on this thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update:

Hello,

So, I got Leo set up in a 2.5 gallon with IAL tea. My first heater didn't seem to work so I had to cram my old semi-submersible in. Crossing my fingers that Leo does well in this new, smaller tank and new fin growth shows soon.

\

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You have some really good advice here, good luck!

I definitely think that adding the frozen bloodworms into his diet is a great idea, a good nutritional diet will help him immensely. He looks a little thin to me but I imagine his appetite is not the best, whatever you can get into him is great. I would also recommend Soaking his food in garlic juice. Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiparasitic. It can also help increase appetite.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have some really good advice here, good luck!

I definitely think that adding the frozen bloodworms into his diet is a great idea, a good nutritional diet will help him immensely. He looks a little thin to me but I imagine his appetite is not the best, whatever you can get into him is great. I would also recommend Soaking his food in garlic juice. Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiparasitic. It can also help increase appetite.
Thank you! I do wonder if I had been underfeeding him. Thankfully, he's always had a robust appetite but should he lose it, I'll definitely look into garlic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eeek!

Okay, so as I've been taking daily pictures, I think this fin rot is getting worse.

Dutifully, I have been changing 50% water daily, temps fluctuate between 79-81*F and I've added IAL tea with each water change. Leo is still eating well, and seems alert and active but his fins!!! They're going fast, I think.

Please see pics below for comparison.PLUS, see the stringy stuff hanging from his fins that I circled in yellow?? Is that good or bad? I'm guessing bad. At this point, should I continue with IAL tea and 50%WC daily to complete these 7 days with IAL tea? OR, does this seem dire enough to dose Kanaplex STAT?

Monday 4-26-21:

___
Tuesday 4-27-21:

__

Today 4-28-21:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would do another round of kanaplex, it looks like the stuff hanging off is dead tissue. I think the bacteria infection that is causing the fin rot is very stubborn so you will definitely need to treat with meds.
What are you feeding him right now? I would feed him until you see his belly get full, not bloated but full. A good diet with help him recover.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would do another round of kanaplex, it looks like the stuff hanging off is dead tissue. I think the bacteria infection that is causing the fin rot is very stubborn so you will definitely need to treat with meds.
What are you feeding him right now? I would feed him until you see his belly get full, not bloated but full. A good diet with help him recover.
I am feeding him NLS small pellets and frozen blood worms. This has been his diet for the past 2 weeks or so. Before that, I was feeding him frozen blood worms only once or twice a week. However, I was still feeding him NLS small pellets, frozen daphnia and the occasional frozen mysis shrimp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to mention but when you’re using kanaplex make sure your not using any chemical filteration, for example take out the carbon in your filter. Any carbon will remove the meds.
I did remove the carbon filter when I used the Kanaplex. But a mistake that I may have made was that I left in my HOB filter a special filter sponge that claims to remove ammonia. After the first dose, and before administering the second dose of Kanaplex, I removed that so that my HOB filter was totally empty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THank you for your input and time!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts