Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update:

Leo has gone through his second treatment of Kanaplex. I'm not seeing new fin growth and his fins look a bit worse. However, his last (3rd dose) was Wednesday. It's now Saturday so maybe it's too soon to tell. I added activated carbon back to his tank yesterday and finally did a 50% WC, as I did not WC during the Kanaplex treatment. I did not perform the Paraguard dips as I was not able to get it in time and perform dips everyday. If anyone is still reading this, is it worth getting Seachem Paraguard at this point?
I did notice with Leo's fin rot that, at times, there were holes in his fins. Is this indicative of a different infection or a bacterial versus fungal issue? Kanaplex should address both fungal and bacterial, right?

I don't want to give up hope but I don't want Leo to suffer body rot. I may have to euthanize if I don't see any progress.

Any tips from here would be greatly appreciated. Below pic is from yesterday.

Registered
Neptune & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, and Crystal.
Hello, again,

Firstly, thank you all for your time and assistance. Unfortunately, I鈥檓 posting here again because Leo鈥檚 fins are looking worse and I fear this is aggressive fin rot (I last posted on 4/5/21). I鈥檝e spent hours reading over previous posts and I鈥檓 confused on how to proceed. I鈥檝e completed a round of Kanaplex (This improved his behavior, he had more energy and swam more, but his fins show no sign of re-growth, yet. 4 days later). I鈥檓 also confused about temp; I鈥檝e read conflicting info like, decreasing the temp to 78-79F is good because it鈥檚 less ideal for bacteria. But, another reply I came across said to up the temp to 82-83F to encourage fin growth. Please help!

Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons

Does it have a filter? Yes, hang-on filter.

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? Currently 79*F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? An air stone that is not running 24/7.

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, except for a few opportunistic snails and one assassin snail.

May I add, I have a piece of wood, some betta hammocks, a Betta Log, some real plants, a betta 鈥渂ed鈥 (fake lotus flower) and 2 big IAL. Should I remove the wood? Other accessories? Could they be harbouring fin rot bacteria?

View attachment 1029550

View attachment 1029551

Food:

What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum
View attachment 1029552

Do you feed flakes or pellets? small pellets

Freeze-dried? No, quit freeze-dried months ago

How often do you feed your Betta? 2-3x per day How much? 3-8 small pellets

Lately, I鈥檝e been feeding Leo frozen blood worms about every other day, in addition to some small pellets, to increase his protein, and hopefully beef up his immune system.

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week

*However, since this has been ongoing, I鈥檝e been changing water 2x per week, doing 鈪 one day and 陆 WC two to three days later.

What percentage of water did you change? One-third mostly, sometimes one-half

What is the source of your water? 鈪 tap and 鈪 RO water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime to condition water and sometimes API Stresscoat (And, now Seachem Stability after a round of Kanaplex)

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Seachem ammonia alert shows <0.02ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: Looks to be 0

pH: About 7.3

Hardness (GH): Looks to be between 60 ppm

Alkalinity (KH): Looks to be between 80 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? (From 4/5/21) It鈥檚 been very gradual. Leo began noticeably biting his fins one month ago and his fins look worse and more tattered. Also, he doesn鈥檛 dive anymore. He bobs at the top of the water. He isn鈥檛 lop-sided, or side-swimming, he stays upright. But, if he tries to swim down, he immediately floats up to the surface. I have removed a bridge decoration, a mystery snail, kept the water pristine with 2 water changes per week now and blocked off sight to an adjoining aquarium that may have caused stress.

(From 4/24/21) After a 7-day treatment of Kanaplex, I noticed Leo swimming lots more and sometimes diving down a few inches in the water. He seemed more alert. I began the treatment on 4/14/21 and ended it 4/20/21 by adding the carbon back to his filter and performing a 75%WC. I鈥檝e been waiting for new fin growth and I鈥檓 not seeing it, which has me really concerned.

How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? Fins are tattered-looking, split and now holes. Worse than ever.

View attachment 1029553

How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? (4/5/21)Leo doesn鈥檛 dive to the bottom anymore and he doesn鈥檛 swim around as much. (Now) He remains at the top of his tank, mostly.

Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he has always kept his appetite.

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I added API Stress Coat when performing water changes and have 2 big IAL in tank permanently. I change water 2x per week now and, as stated above, have performed one round of Kanaplex.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? (Old) Not really but upon learning that he鈥檚 a rosetail, we鈥檝e had to make numerous changes and accommodations for him, which we do gladly.(Now) I guess I would say 鈥測es鈥 at this point.

How long have you owned your Betta? About 9 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, but he was a Petco purchase.

***I鈥檓 not at my wit鈥檚 end yet, but let鈥檚 just say I鈥檓 in the final stretch.

Things I have NOT done:

I have NOT performed API salt treatments. Should I? I bought the stuff but then read conflicting recommendations on the forum, so any advice is appreciated.

I have not switched Leo to a hospital tank. I have not done this because I can鈥檛 find a reliable heater, in my research, that would fit. (Yes, I鈥檓 also hung up on a new, smaller housing outfit. The heater I have for his 5 gal is reliable but not fully submersible. A smaller tank woudln鈥檛 give me clearance for the heater鈥檚 water line. Plus, I need a lid due to cats. Any recommendations on that would be great!). That said, that is why I kept Leo in his tank to administer Kanaplex. I did remove the carbon filter cartridge. Should I have removed his wood and other accessories?

**Could I float Leo in a smaller container, in his 5 gallon, and treat him within the smaller container?

I have not made IAL tea...should I do that?

Lastly, my question is this: has anyone successfully treated aggressive fin rot? What worked??

I am prepared to buy a new tank, and even a new heater (if it meets the criteria of submersible, temp adjustable and reliable), and I have a new sponge filter ready to go.

PS Thank you sooooo much to everyone who has read my posts and offered help, suggestions and advice. I truly appreciate it!
Hello, I had a betta with aggressive fin rot. He had it 3 times before he died. The first 2 times, I treated his fin rot successfully with aquarium salt. 馃槉 The third time, I did not catch his fin rot in time. 馃様 Every time he had fin rot, he did not have time to regrow his fins.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
At this point I think I would give him a break from the meds. I'm very concerned about how thin he is, does he still eat?
He does still eat. I've been feeding him 3-4 times a day, feeding frozen blood worms one of those times. I feed him between 3-6 blood worms, I guess (sometimes the worm piece isn't as long as the others).

Here's a top shot of him just now:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello, I had a betta with aggressive fin rot. He had it 3 times before he died. The first 2 times, I treated his fin rot successfully with aquarium salt. 馃槉 The third time, I did not catch his fin rot in time. 馃様 Every time he had fin rot, he did not have time to regrow his fins.
I'm sorry about the loss of your betta.
You mention that your betta didn't have time to regrow his fins. How did you know the first 2 Aq salt treatments were successful? Did you see the rot cease?
Thank you for your experience with rot.

Super Moderator
I would just keep up with the frequent water changes and see how he recovers from the meds. Sometimes it takes a while to see progress and I know it鈥檚 hard to be patient. I feel like instead of looking for regrowth let鈥檚 just monitor if he has any more fin loss.

Registered
Neptune & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, and Crystal.
I'm sorry about the loss of your betta.
You mention that your betta didn't have time to regrow his fins. How did you know the first 2 Aq salt treatments were successful? Did you see the rot cease?
Thank you for your experience with rot.
The fin rot stopped. His rotted fins fell of. I waited until there were no more signs of fin rot, then I put him back in his tank. 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would just keep up with the frequent water changes and see how he recovers from the meds. Sometimes it takes a while to see progress and I know it鈥檚 hard to be patient. I feel like instead of looking for regrowth let鈥檚 just monitor if he has any more fin loss.
Thank you so much, BettaloverSara. You are a tremendous help!

Super Moderator
Wanted to clarify that, unlike 99% cases of fin rot, this was not due to poor maintenance or dirty habitat. Didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression about your most excellent care. ;)

Can you post some of his newest photos? Maybe it's me, but I think he looks better. Going mostly by how his fins look spread out on the IAL.

I would up his feeding and, if possible, feed him frozen two meals and pellets two; or three frozen and one of pellets.

Super Moderator
Wanted to clarify that, unlike 99% cases of fin rot, this was not due to poor maintenance or dirty habitat. Didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression about your most excellent care. ;)

Can you post some of his newest photos? Maybe it's me, but I think he looks better. Going mostly by how his fins look spread out on the IAL.

I would up his feeding and, if possible, feed him frozen two meals and pellets two; or three frozen and one of pellets.
Agree 100%, you have taken amazing care of him.

Registered
I was unable to treat one of my males, and he eventually got sick and died he only lived a year

but my other fish with severe fin rot I was able to grow his fins back and he鈥檚 4 years old now

it depends on the fish and their immune system ect.

Super Moderator
I was unable to treat one of my males, and he eventually got sick and died he only lived a year

but my other fish with severe fin rot I was able to grow his fins back and he鈥檚 4 years old now

You are spot-on in reminding us that some Betta don't bounce back because they are immune compromised. This includes genetically; which seems to be the case with Leo. Windsummoner has done everything instructed as instructed and poor Leo just can't seem to find the path to recovery.

In most cases all it takes to treat fin rot is immaculate habitat conditions: 2-3 50% water changes and vacuum per week. So, despite your excellent care, your first boy was most likely didn't recover because he was immune-compromised. The second wasn't so only needed clean water.

Luckily, what we find on this Forum is very few of those diagnosed with fin rot (including by other social networks) have it. Rather, they have damage or are fin biting. The down side is owners often use antibiotics when they are not needed. :(

I wrote this because I believe it is essential to know exactly what a dirty habitat can mean to our fish and their overall health Symptoms and Diseases Triggered by Poor Habitat Maintenance

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Sorry for the delayed response. I will post pictures later today once I get them uploaded to my computer.

Thank you for the support and kind words!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I'm sorry to hear about your betta that passed away. Conversely, that's great news about your 4-year-old and gives me hope in this challenging situation. Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Below is from 5/7:

Below is from 5/8/21:

Below is from 5/9/21:

Below 3 are from this morning:

And here's some video from 5/8/21 of him floating around *and eating:

Thank you, Russell, for taking the time to look.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good news!!!

Leo did something that I haven't seen him do in months, well maybe 2 things. Firstly, I saw him swimming at the bottom of the tank (in a good way!). He was looking intently at something and I assumed he was hunting baby snails or detritus worms, etc. I was so happy to see this new behavior! He hasn't swam to other levels of his tank in ages, just always hanging close to the top.

A bit later, when I saw him do this again, I noticed he was flaring. He must be feeling better to be flaring as he was. THEN I noticed he was flaring at his own reflection in the bottom of the tank, haha. (I didn't put any substrate in so that I could monitor his poop schedule.) Little did I know that the bottom glass was reflective. This new behavior has made me so happy and hopeful. Crossing fingers that he's finally on the road to recovery.

PS This pic was taken two days ago. Yesterday, I covered the bottom with sand so he doesn't stress himself out, flaring at his reflection.

Registered
That鈥檚 great that he鈥檚 getting his personality back! Now hopefully those difficult fins grow back I鈥檓 sure he鈥檚 beautiful with long fins, but if not he鈥檚 still cute! 馃榾

21 - 40 of 46 Posts