Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my 10 to a 29-gallon aquarium with my gourami and neon tetras and cities. I added a pleco, some ottos, and some shrimp, but for the past weeks since I had the tank he has taken half the tank as his territory and will chase anything in this zone out. I want it to work out with all of my fish and 5 shrimps but I worry he will he to aggressive as he chases the neons out of his half of the tank constantly. Should I rehome him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
There are many species of gouramis, some more prone to aggression than others. Blue Gourami (aka Three-Spot Gourami) males can be especially territorial. Which species do you have?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are many species of gouramis, some more prone to aggression than others. Blue Gourami (aka Three-Spot Gourami) males can be especially territorial. Which species do you have?
It's a flame dwarf gourami, idk if the little bits of territorial is from the move and will calm down as he didn't do this much in the 10 gallon. He doesn't seem interested in the shrimp as he has gone right up to the shrimp with no issue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dwarf Gouramis are generally docile so I think this has more to do with the transition and he's setting the ground rules in his new territory. I bet he'll settle. Has he ever had a mate? Like bettas, DGs tend to be more at ease in thickly planted environs but unlike bettas they're not loners and a mate might also help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dwarf Gouramis are generally docile so I think this has more to do with the transition and he's setting the ground rules in his new territory. I bet he'll settle. Has he ever had a mate? Like bettas, DGs tend to be more at ease in thickly planted environs but unlike bettas they're not loners and a mate might also help.
I just worry adding another of his kind will stress out the other fish

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with @RussellTheShihTzu. Obviously, you have to do what you're comfortable with, but if you got him a mate he's going to pay a lot more attention to her, and she to him, than either will to neons and otos. Gouramis are social and not meant to be kept alone. And pairs of Dwarf Gouramis, indeed all kinds of gouramis, have been fixtures in community aquariums for over a century.

If you do get him a mate, you should know that any female of any of the Dwarf Gourami color variants--Flame, Blue, Red, Neon or Wild--will do. They are all the same species. All but the wild are man-made color variants of the wild form, Trichogaster lalius. "Sunset" and "Honey," however, are variants of other species, T, labiosa and T. chuna respectively.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with @RussellTheShihTzu. Obviously, you have to do what you're comfortable with, but if you got him a mate he's going to pay a lot more attention to her, and she to him, than either will to neons and otos. Gouramis are social and not meant to be kept alone. And pairs of Dwarf Gouramis, indeed all kinds of gouramis, have been fixtures in community aquariums for over a century.

If you do get him a mate, you should know that any female of any of the Dwarf Gourami color variants--Flame, Blue, Red, Neon or Wild--will do. They are all the same species. All but the wild are man-made color variants of the wild form, Trichogaster lalius. "Sunset" and "Honey, however, " are variants of other species, T, labiosa and T. chuna respectively.
Will they still attack shrimp? And how do I properly sex them so I know if the fish I have is a male or female so I know the right mate for them?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will they still attack shrimp? And how do I properly sex them so I know if the fish I have is a male or female so I know the right mate for them?

And would java moss help keep my shrimps alive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And would java moss help keep my shrimps alive.

To be honest, I haven't even seem the gourami take interest in the shrimps so maybe I don't need to worry about them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Someone else will have to address the shrimp question--I've never kept any.

Dwarf Gouramis are what we call sexually dichromatic, that is, the males and females of the species are colored differently. In this case the males get all the color and the females are far less colored by comparison. Many of the big chain stores only carry males for this reason. Many, but not all.

Here's a wild female. Flame females might have some more brownish-red on them but nothing compared to the vivid colors of your male.

Now compare that with a wild male:

I don't think you'll have any trouble sorting out gender for these.

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Shrimp with any fish (except, perhaps, Oto) is a crapshoot. If there's enough planting it's pretty hard for a larger fish to maneuver around obstacles to catch shrimp. Without enough planting there are open lines of sight and chase not so much. Unless compromised, shrimp are really fast.

Know that nothing is black and white in the aquarium hobby when it comes to behavior. Too many things we do or do not do influence the outcome.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shrimp with any fish (except, perhaps, Oto) is a crapshoot. If there's enough planting it's pretty hard for a larger fish to maneuver around obstacles to catch shrimp. Without enough planting there are open lines of sight and chase not so much. Unless compromised, shrimp are really fast.

Know that nothing is black and white in the aquarium hobby when it comes to behavior. Too many things we do or do not do influence the outcome.
I have lots of lush plants they can hide in and they are small. I also have java moss on order as I've heard its good with shrimp and small fish.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have lots of lush plants they can hide in and they are small. I also have java moss on order as I've heard its good with shrimp and small fish.

But so far so good, the gourami is fed we'll and has gone right up to the shrimp without him trying to eat them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Anyone know what shrimp this is?

Reactions: Kat50

·
Registered
362 Posts
Someone else will have to address the shrimp question--I've never kept any.

Dwarf Gouramis are what we call sexually dichromatic, that is, the males and females of the species are colored differently. In this case the males get all the color and the females are far less colored by comparison. Many of the big chain stores only carry males for this reason. Many, but not all.

Here's a wild female. Flame females might have some more brownish-red on them but nothing compared to the vivid colors of your male.

View attachment 1030988

Now compare that with a wild male:

View attachment 1030989

I don't think you'll have any trouble sorting out gender for these.
I‘ve been looking for a female to go with my male and I cant find one anywhere. smaller LFS only have the males also.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a Black Rili. It's a Neocaridina. If he's blue he's a Blue Rili.
The morning after I got the shrimps they are all still alive so it's looking good, as j have a lush plant they can hide in that none of the other fish can get to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I‘ve been looking for a female to go with my male and I cant find one anywhere. smaller LFS only have the males also.
They can order them; they just don't. If you have a good relationship with a LFS person, you can request they order a few females in their next shipment.

Also, there are on-line options if you google 'female Dwarf Gourami for sale'. There are even some on ebay now and there have been listings on aquabid in the past. The issue there is the shipping cost. But if you order from a place like www.wetspottropicalfish.com you can shop for other fish, inverts, plants and suppllies to justify the shipping. They have females at the moment. They're in Portland, OR. And they are an excellent outfit.

Finally, look closely at those tanks of dwarfs in shops. Females sometimes slip in. In fact, I saw an entire tank of dwarf females labelled Neon Blues at a Petsmart. When I inquired with the clerk she said, "Geez. You're right. They must have been sent by mistake."

·
Registered
362 Posts
They can order them; they just don't. If you have a good relationship with a LFS person, you can request they order a few females in their next shipment.

Also, there are on-line options if you google 'female Dwarf Gourami for sale'. There are even some on ebay now and there have been listings on aquabid in the past. The issue there is the shipping cost. But if you order from a place like www.wetspottropicalfish.com you can shop for other fish, inverts, plants and suppllies to justify the shipping. They have females at the moment. They're in Portland, OR. And they are an excellent outfit.

Finally, look closely at those tanks of dwarfs in shops. Females sometimes slip in. In fact, I saw an entire tank of dwarf females labelled Neon Blues at a Petsmart. When I inquired with the clerk she said, "Geez. You're right. They must have been sent by mistake."
Thanks. Is it batter to get 2 females for the one male or just one is needed

1 - 20 of 42 Posts