Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks. Is it batter to get 2 females for the one male or just one is needed
Can you send the pictures of the genders of flame dwarf vourami

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks. Is it batter to get 2 females for the one male or just one is needed
Some feel a trio is better since it diffuses the male's pursuit of just one female. The flip side is females, like males, will test each other for dominance. But no harm is really ever done.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can you send the pictures of the genders of flame dwarf vourami
Here ya go. This female has an issue behind her gill, which is why the owner posted the photo, but she's is identified by her owner as Flame. Few photos of female dwarfs are identified by color variant because the females all look pretty much alike. And remember, it doesn't make a difference what color variant female you get. They're all the same species and the males do not disciminate.

Don't sweat this. There are few species where the gender distinction is more obvious!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Some feel a trio is better since it diffuses the male's pursuit of just one female. The flip side is females, like males, will test each other for dominance. But no harm is really ever done.
Thanks, I’m going to start looking for a female or two after I figure out what is going on with my tank. Here is my neon dwarf. And of course my angel photo bombed the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here ya go. This female has an issue behind her gill, which is why the owner posted the photo, but she's is identified by her owner as Flame. Few photos of female dwarfs are identified by color variant because the females all look pretty much alike. And remember, it doesn't make a difference what color variant female you get. They're all the same species and the males do not disciminate.

Don't sweat this. There are few species where the gender distinction is more obvious!

View attachment 1031021
View attachment 1031022
Will they breed?

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you put a male and female together of any species there's always that possibility. But in a community setting, no young will survive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you put a male and female together of any species there's always that possibility. But in a community setting, no young will survive.
For my case of a 29 gallon, would one female be ok

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
For my case of a 29 gallon, would one female be ok

And do you know where I can buy a female flame

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sure. A pair is fine. Regarding where to buy, see my earlier post.

And again, you do not need a female Flame. You just need a female.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed my 10 to a 29-gallon aquarium with my gourami and neon tetras and cities. I added a pleco, some ottos, and some shrimp, but for the past weeks since I had the tank he has taken half the tank as his territory and will chase anything in this zone out. I want it to work out with all of my fish and 5 shrimps but I worry he will he to aggressive as he chases the neons out of his half of the tank constantly. Should I rehome him?

I had 2 beta’s, and I had them in a tank together because
I changed my 10 to a 29-gallon aquarium with my gourami and neon tetras and cities. I added a pleco, some ottos, and some shrimp, but for the past weeks since I had the tank he has taken half the tank as his territory and will chase anything in this zone out. I want it to work out with all of my fish and 5 shrimps but I worry he will he to aggressive as he chases the neons out of his half of the tank constantly. Should I rehome him?

I had 2 female betas together, after doing research it was ok. I had a divider at one point, but they’d go over and keep chasing each other and doing what you are describing. My opinion is that you should consider getting seperate tanks, I had to just get 2 smaller tanks instead of the split 10 gallon. This is just what I had to do, maybe your situation is different, but I hope it helps!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had 2 beta’s, and I had them in a tank together because

I had 2 female betas together, after doing research it was ok. I had a divider at one point, but they’d go over and keep chasing each other and doing what you are describing. My opinion is that you should consider getting seperate tanks, I had to just get 2 smaller tanks instead of the split 10 gallon. This is just what I had to do, maybe your situation is different, but I hope it helps!
They aren’t bettas. Totally different fish and behavior but thanks for your comment!

·
Registered
362 Posts
So excited my local fish store is going to order female gouramis. I’m still waiting on panda corys to come in. They said they have been having a hard time getting them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So excited my local fish store is going to order female gouramis. I’m still waiting on panda corys to come in. They said they have been having a hard time getting them.
I was hoping that would be the outcome if you asked your LFS to order them. Female DGs are almost always on the wholesalers' lists but are seldom ordered by the retailers. A pity that the males they order and sell never get to live out anything resembling a normal existence.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was wanting to get 2 females and another male but I guess that is out. I read if you have a well planted tank and more than 29 gallons you could do it. Do you think it would be a bad idea with a planted 36 gallon tank? If a bad idea I will just get the 2 females.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What's the footprint of the 36g?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've never kept more than a pair in one tank...of any size. You could try it, but only if you had a b-plan at the ready if it didn't work out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've never kept more than a pair in one tank...of any size. You could try it, but only if you had a b-plan at the ready if it didn't work out.
Ok thanks I will stay with the one female or two and not get another male. Ive ventured out and this time around in my fish keeping I am getting fish I never had before. Bettas and Dwarf gourami. I have has kissing gourami and 3 spotted way back. This is when you either had to read about fish keeping in books or you trusted your lfs about what can go with what.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Agreed, I like having a pair but I've never done any more than the two together. I currently have a single honey gourami I took in from a friend. She had him in a 5 gallon with 3 neon tetras and 2 black skirts. I am in the process of building a 40 gal community tank so I may get him a girlfriend and put them in there, or I will find him a new home. He's only been with me about a month but I like him a lot :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts