Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna tell how old pog is. his fins r ruffled at the end, odd for a veil tail, but the tetras were nippy, im just surprised it hasnt repaired well. hes bigger tan tha girls, at least twice as long not inckuding fins, and twice as tall too. hes huge. any ideas? other ways to tell?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
how long you had him? has he built bubblenest?
if he is from a store, you can't really tell besides there personality (sometimes)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
if he has somewhat long fins he is probably around 6 months to 1 year old given that you just purchased him recently

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bought hi maybeeeee almost a year ago. he used to make bubble nests but they get messed up in water changes. his fins r long.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
When my males start to age out-usually starting in the 2+ year range-they will start getting lighter in color on the head and face, get a hump back, with some the back end/tail will droop more, activity level decreases, they may or may not still make bubble nest, appetite decrease slightly-but not always, fins generally stay intact and long since fish never stop growing, however, I have spawned some of my older males successfully after 3 years of age....and so.... IMO/E the aging process in this species can vary based on genetic, overall health/health history, diet/nutrition, water quality/water temp, exercise to name a few....

It can be really hard to guess age since so many things can vary with the aging process......

If you bought him from a pet shop-he was most likely about 6-8mo-1yr old already and owing him for near 12mo-he most likely is in the 2 year old range-depending on genetic, water temp, nutrition, stress/health history, exercise and water quality.....he may be aging out.....hard to say....but I wouldn't base it on lack of bubble nest and tattered fins since a lot of other things can cause that.....

Can you post a pic and give more history.....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my cam sucks. i dont hav much history he has a laid back life really hes been in 2 solitary tanks and 1 community tank and hes in the tank i used second for him. so is that too much tank changing?

there really isnt much history here. He has always been fat, used to be like wayyyyyy over eating so i put him in a solitary tank to better control his eating.

rite now he just chills at the top of the tank probs cuz of needin air but the bubbler 4 his tank broke n the other one is too big 4 his tank.

maybe ill hav 2 get him a hammock. lol he has a pretty boring life. i have him on the drinks table we use wen we have parties so during parties hes more active, cuz everything around him moves, but thats like once a week. o i also just recently moved his tank there like on sunday for a party i thot he wud look cool.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Poorly bred bettas seem to age faster *cough cough ALL PET STORE BETTAS*. I know of breeders that have fish at two years of age spawning and building nests.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm... how do they die when they get old? do you see it comin or is it just like boom one day they die?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
They just kind of slow down, maybe display signs of disease, or just die.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hav u ever had any die? i wanna no wat its like. Pog is def getting older but probs has another year or so. i wanna no wat its gunna be like

1 - 13 of 13 Posts