Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First off I really want a filter in my tank. I realize that there are people out there that say you don't need a filter for betta. Let alone a sponge filter with an airpump. But I'm OCD and care for my fish. And want the most ideal environment for him. That being said I want to get a larger tank but cannot due to space right now. So I'm stuck with what I have.

So the air pump that came with the tank stopped working 3 days ago. It was junk. Still caused surface agitation but not like this new pump I got. I got a top fin air-500. It says up to 5 gallons. I really want to reduce the current at the top so my fish would appear less restless than he is.

It should be notes there was a good 3 days that there was no filtration because I had to buy my new air pump. And the water was still and he seemed happy. He even used his leaf hammock I bought at petsmart!!
Now he doesn't go near it :(

Any thoughts?

New fish guy here.

Ps. I was in an office yesterday and they had a female adult betta. It was in a small vase with gravel substrate. Could barely move. Had fin rot. Water was cloudy. I asked the receptionist (who took care of the fish) how often she changes the water.....every 2 weeks!!! I wanted to steal the fish and take her home with me... Sad

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Restricting the air-flow is not that good for the pump. You can use the air-adjuster valve with a T-fitting to vent the extra air OR try poking some pinholes in the airline near the pump. That works for many people.

That's a good little filter. The flow should not be too strong for a healthy Betta. But you can try adding length to the riser tube so the flow exits closer to the surface. You can put a bunch of plants near and in the flow. A little flow is good for exercise. He might get used to it with time.

That's a good set-up to cycle. You might consider that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts