Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 gallon tank was supposed to have all 3 of my bettas but the filter was too strong for the betta in the middle, he was always hiding behind it and was seeming tired so I used my old 2.5 gallon tank and put him in there as a substitute until I found a solution. Now it's about 9 months - 1 year after making that decision and he is still in the same tank. I looked on many sites but I never found a definite answer. My best guess would be a sponge filter? I'm not "new" to the hobby. But far from experienced. I'm wondering what your guys ideas are.

My other problem is that Algae is growing on my Plastic mesh dividers and it's a big eye sore. I think it's algae at least it's a different color from last year after I scrubbed the dividers real good. Instead of green it's brown and isn't thick like the green stuff. I don't have enough time to clean it often enough to make it look like, at least the way I'm doing it which takes a good 15-20 of good scrubbing. Doesn't sound like a lot for some but when you get back from school at 4:00 pm it doesn't help your motiviation. My idea was to get a professional to cut acrylic to the dimensions I need since it doesn't seem to grow on it guess it's to slick? Who knows all answers are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I personally really like sponge filters for bettas. They pose no risk to the fins of long finned males, and you can control the rate of flow to a level that your fish is comfortable with.

Plus I like the fact you can run multiple sponge filters from a single air pump.

Sounds like your algae could possibly be diatoms? Manual removal is basically how I get rid of it from my tanks. There are species of fish such as otocinclus that will use diatoms as a food source. However, I personally don't think they are suitable for a divided 15 gallon tank. Perhaps there is a species of aquatic snail that may be more useful. Although snails do seem to produce a lot of waste in exchange.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts