Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hope everyone is doing great and ready for the holidays festivities!!

So I've been dealing for the past week or so with hair/filamentous algae I reduced my light 5-6hrs and cut back on the nutrient dosing util i find the right balance.

I don't see the algae propagating or getting out of control but it kind of took over 3 moss bunches that i have on my driftwood.

I want to get rid of if I have a nerite snail but he poops more that what he clean unfortunately lol so I went ahead and got 3 amano shrimps and not sure if I don't have the right set up for them but they died or dexter killed them 3 days later which he's not aggressive towards the snail but i saw him chasing the shrimp when i first dropped them but they were to quick for him.

Any suggestions? I don't want to deal with excel or h2o2 unless it's my last option

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have bristtle nose and otocinclus and they disregared any hair algae. Wish shrimp is legal here in OZ so i have no choice but to dose excel and it's almost gone. I have BBA and hair algae. I dose consistenly and only 3x lower than the recommended dosage. And i dose directly using a syringe with needle to the area which has BBA. I did saw my honey gourami's trying munch on some of the hair algae but was a bit difficult to take off so he moves on. I think my tank now is getting balanced after experiencing brown,green,bba. So yeah excel is really good not only they kill the algae but new growth sprouting each week :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
What size tank have you got?
And where is it? How much daylight?
And can we have a pic of the tank to show the layout and other plants?

You have quite a few options, but the answers to these questions affect which options are best for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size tank have you got?
And where is it? How much daylight?
And can we have a pic of the tank to show the layout and other plants?

You have quite a few options, but the answers to these questions affect which options are best for you.

4 Gallons i cut my light to 5 hrs right now I think what's happening is i have excess nutrients I started dosing thriveC and 1 pump per week is too much for my load so I will be dossing by drops.
No Day light

and doing 2 water changes per week 50% at least

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
What will eat the algae depends on the type of algae that it is. Can you get a close up of the algae so that we can identify it?

Nerites do not eat any of the hair type algae. They tend to go in for the green spot algae and the slimy brown stuff. There's one type of algae eating fish that will eat black beard algae, and shrimp will also munch on it. Nothing eats staghorn algae.

I've had both staghorn and black beard algae get out of control when I switch to a stronger fertilizer. The only thing that conquered it was H2O2. It takes a bit of a toll on my java fern, but the algae was doing a number on the fern anyway so it was worth it. I learned, the hard way to remove my nerites from the tank before dosing, I don't have shrimp so no worries there. If you get desperate, or it's staghorn you might not have any choice but to try excel or h2o2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What will eat the algae depends on the type of algae that it is. Can you get a close up of the algae so that we can identify it?

Nerites do not eat any of the hair type algae. They tend to go in for the green spot algae and the slimy brown stuff. There's one type of algae eating fish that will eat black beard algae, and shrimp will also munch on it. Nothing eats staghorn algae.

I've had both staghorn and black beard algae get out of control when I switch to a stronger fertilizer. The only thing that conquered it was H2O2. It takes a bit of a toll on my java fern, but the algae was doing a number on the fern anyway so it was worth it. I learned, the hard way to remove my nerites from the tank before dosing, I don't have shrimp so no worries there. If you get desperate, or it's staghorn you might not have any choice but to try excel or h2o2.
Hey Rainbo see images lmk your thoughts it's only thriving on my moss :( i see a bit on other plants but not as bad since im trying to control it as much as a can manually

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts