Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so as some of you already know, my mom bought a new 10-gallon tank for Saya and Diva since the first one broke along with new brighter lights that don't seem to bother them. shortly after, the filter blew out for some bizzare reason. As the tank went into its bacteria bloom, I added in clearwater and noticed some brown algae from leftover food and whatnot. After noticing that, I tried killing it with a 50% water change, aquarium salts, and an anti-fungul tablet. I'm hesitant about doing another water change because it literally made it a million times worse!!!!!
I think it was because I didn't cycle the tank, and screwed up the bacteria cycle by killing it with that clearwater stuff. I've been watching my girls like a hawk, and they seem perfectly healthy plus their behavior hasn't changed a bit. I've been thinking of getting algae eaters (one for each side) and my mom's been meaning to bring home the filter she used at work. in the meantime,
WHAT CAN I DO TO CLEAN UP ALL THIS DAMN ALGAE???????

(here are pictures of the tank. I've never seen it so bad)

front view, Saya's side, and Diva's side (I tried showing each side of the divider, which is almost covered in algae)
Saya is the red Veiltail, and Diva is the blue/black Crowntail...

I know what happened to the tank is my fault. I didn't mean for this to happen, I just was sort of a hypochondriac with everything...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
There's probably not much you can do other than scrape the algae off and keep the tank out of sunlight. Maybe reduce the amount of time that you leave the tank lights on for. I had a similar algae covering my live plants and since getting a few red cherry shrimp haven't had a problem ^.^
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's probably not much you can do other than scrape the algae off and keep the tank out of sunlight. Maybe reduce the amount of time that you leave the tank lights on for. I had a similar algae covering my live plants and since getting a few red cherry shrimp haven't had a problem ^.^
Posted via Mobile Device
the problem is, though. My girls are the only thing alive in that tank. I don't have any living plants in there, that's why I'm semi-paranoid about keeping their water clean and oxygenated. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Diatoms (brown algae) are not uncommon with new tanks. It's pretty easy to wipe off. I wouldn't add anything to the water (besides maybe some algae eaters, shrimps or snails). It should go away as the tank gets established, and in the meantime will not hurt your fish.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top