Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in my 10 gallon aquarium, after about a month, it gets infested with algae and I have to do a complete clean of the entire tank because of it using bleach and soaps and boiling water (yes I know you are not supposed to use chemicals or soap but my betta has never gotten sick or showed signs of stress at all and I've done it for at least 2 years now) but I'm looking for a way to control it and I just bought some Jungle No More Algae Tank Buddies and I read the back and it said do not use with live aquarium plants and that's a problem because that's what I have. So if anyone's ever used this, is there a way I can take out the plants and put the tablet in and wait a certain amount of time before I put the plants back in? Please anyone with experience with this stuff respond.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
All that stuff is rubbish and should not be used, And I stand by that comment.

If you are having Algae problems in your tank you need to fix the root cause.
Things like.
Over feeding the fish.
Too much light.
Wrong sort of light.
Poor tank maintenance.

Finding and fixing the problem can take weeks and is the only way to do it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
^ I agree with NickAu. The cause of the algal blooms needs to be addressed.

The short answer is: "No, it will never be safe to put plants back into the tank unless the entire tank has been scrubbed down and rinsed out."

The long answer is: The active ingredient is an chemical that interferes with photosynthesis. It's commonly used as a crop herbicide under the name Diuron. It is extremely stable in water, and at pH 7, it will persist upwards of 4 years before degrading.

Take careful note of the disposal warning:

Disposal:
If empty: Do not reuse this container. Place in trash or offer for recycling if available.

If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.

EDIT: I been keeping fish long enough that there are few things I'll stamp with an unconditional "NO". Herbicides in an ornamental fish tank is one of them.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
As stated above don't buy something to deal with the side effect (algae). Instead deal with the root cause of the issue that is causing the side effect. Otherwise the algae will continue. Algae is caused by imbalance in the tank, different imbalances cause different algaes. You can post a clear photo(s) of the algaes and get an ID from forum embers then look the algae name up in a search engine like google, there are a lot of sites that list algaes descriptions, causes, and how to fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
+1 to Aurora.

If it's a new tank (less than 6 months old) then you're more than likely dealing with diatom algae, which is normal in new tank set ups. Diatoms will go away on their own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts