Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got a ten gallon tank and it is either done cycling or is done cycling and I am having a bit of a algae outbreak there is what I think is green algae and brown algae. I am wonder how to get rid of it. Will ghost/cherry shrimp get rid of it if not what kind of fish/snail will get rid of it. I am also wondering what kind of live plants are easily cared for.

Registered
Algae is very common in newly set up tanks. It can be hard to control until the tank becomes established and all the nutrient and mineral levels even out. Especially the brown algae, which can actually be diatoms and will go away on its own. Adding plants to the tank is a really good way to limit algae, as they compete for resources. If you add fast growing plants, they will consume all the nutrients before the algae can get it. Good, easy plants are: water wisteria, water sprite, moneywort, hornwort, many types of cryptocorynes. Slower growing but almost kill-proof plants are java ferns and anubias.

My favorite algae eaters are nerite snails. They have a small bioload, are less sensitive to water quality than shrimp, come in fun patterns, eat a lot of algae, and are generally adorable.

To limit algae, you can also shorten your photoperiod. Buy a cheap timer and set your tank light to run for around 8 hours per day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant just about done cycling

Registered
Yea, my tank 11.4 gallon is fairly new as well and moderatly planted, and i get brown algae on the leaves of my plants... and I have quite a few shrimp. My Mystery snail is dead i think, hasnt moved in about 24 hours. If it still hasnt moved when i get home this evening i'll take it out. Not sure how else to tell if its dead.

I hear Nerite snails are the best algae eating snails out there for fresh water, however initially for a few monthes, they keep laying eggs, that dont hatch, but are just messy. I'm assuming the Betta and shrimp will eat them tho. not sure.

Registered
Ew smell your snail. If it smells like rotten poopy death that has been left out in the sun for 6 years, it's dead. Don't put it right up to your nose or you'll probably barf.

None of my nerites have ever laid eggs! Maybe I got all boys?? Or are they hermaphrodites?

Registered
Ew smell your snail. If it smells like rotten poopy death that has been left out in the sun for 6 years, it's dead. Don't put it right up to your nose or you'll probably barf.

None of my nerites have ever laid eggs! Maybe I got all boys?? Or are they hermaphrodites?
They are Hermaphrodites. you are lucky if you never had that issue. almost every forum i read about Nerites, people were complaining about it.

Mystery Snail dont do as good of a job as Nerites, but they need 2 of them to lay eggs.

Just called my wife tho, and she said it started moving again and its stuck to the drift wood. So not dead :)

Registered
Hi guys,

I got a ten gallon tank and it is either done cycling or is done cycling and I am having a bit of a algae outbreak there is what I think is green algae and brown algae. I am wonder how to get rid of it. Will ghost/cherry shrimp get rid of it if not what kind of fish/snail will get rid of it. I am also wondering what kind of live plants are easily cared for.
Sounds like what you have are diatoms, which, as has already been mentioned, are very common in an aquarium during it's initial setup. They can be both brown or green.

They consume silicates in the water, which can come from anywhere, though typically, it is the substrate that supplies the silicates.

They will go away on their own once the silicates have been consumed. As I understand it, it can take anywhere from a week to a couple of months. I had one tank where they went away after 10 days, and my two current tanks still have plenty of it after a month.

You can speed that up a couple of ways. Seachem makes a product called Phosguard that removes silicates. And the diatoms make a tasty meal for RCS. Just introduced some to both tanks today. One of the leaves on my Crypt was completely browned out. They went to work right away and the leaf is green once more. The only thing about the shrimp is that once the diatoms go away, you will need to feed them supplemental meals.

If you do get the shrimp, algae is a good thing as they will feed from it and the biofilm it brings.

Registered
My 10 g is well established at this point, but I recently set up two new mini tanks next to it and have been using a desk lamp for lighting for the time being. Since the light has been reaching my big tank and is a lot brighter than my LEDs in that one I have had an algae explosion on the glass and my nerite has been living in a hole in the tank's rock. My panda garras are not big on cleaning the glass lately either. Even the side they usually keep pristine by their bubble wall is starting to go green. Gonna do another small cleaning, scrub the glass, and rinse the filter and see if that helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for the segestions I will keep them in mind for the next time I go to my lps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts