Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my crowntail male (Calypso) has begun building a bubble nest underneath a piece of bubble wrap I have placed in the tank as the nest anchor. He flares when he sees the female and seems to be impressively more active than when I bought him at the pet store. (Please don't despise me because I bought my bettas at the pet store.) The female, on the other hand is showing no signs. Her stripes are still horizontal and she just stares at calypso when he flares.
I have only conditioned them for 3 days so I'm hoping within 2 weeks they both will be ready to breed. (I know that 2 weeks is the maximum period of time for conditioning)
I am feeding the pair freeze-dried blood worms and pellets 2-3 times a day as a varied diet.
I am also quite prepared to look after and care for 50 to 100+ fry and even sell them to friends in my area.

If there are any tips or anything that would improve the procedure, they are greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be very delicate with freeze dried food of any type. It causes a large number of health concerns for a fish, and has a lack of nutrients due to the process of freeze drying. Also, make sure your tank water is no more than 6 inches to ensure the male can properly care for the eggs.

·
Super Moderator
7,098 Posts
If you have another female, flare female-female or to a mirror. Once she shows aggression and is willing to flare for a period of time, then you can show her the male to see her reaction. Iif your female is stressed towards the male, it may take her longer to show breeding bars.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.