Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Nebby (R.I.P.); Lillie.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my precious little Nebby: https://www.petlossmessageboard.com/album?action=show_picture&fileid=6360423. He was a beautiful Cambodian-colored betta with long fins and a spunky personality. He was labeled as a "dragon scale betta," though I have since learned that this is inaccurate; I'm not exactly sure what breed he was, but I now suspect that he was a halfmoon betta, possibly a rosetail betta.

When I first saw him among the shipment of new bettas at the Petco I worked at, I knew right then and there that he was the betta of my dreams. Luckily he was still available when my aquarium was done cycling, so I put him on hold during one of my shifts and brought him home right after. I named him Nebby, after a character from Pokémon Sun and Moon.

When I first put Nebby into his new home (a 10-gallon aquarium), he did not know what to do with all of the new space. Once he settled in, he explored everything - and bullied the corydoras I also brought home with me (which I had to rehome because of him). While his long fins weighed him down, he had so much energy and just wanted to know about everything that went on around him. He would watch me when I tested the water parameters. When I conducted water changes, he would follow the siphon. He always had an appetite, and would wait to be fed in the feeding spot. Once he recognized me, he would come over just to greet me and get my attention; he would even follow my finger when I moved it across the glass. He was a feisty fish that flared a lot at his reflection, and he occasionally built huge bubble nests. Nebby was an amazing betta with a huge personality!

Sadly, Nebby was also not the healthiest of bettas. He seemed healthy when I brought him home, but a month or two afterwards he started to have fin problems. At first I thought it was fin rot and tried treating that, with limited success (the fins would grow back, then get all torn again overnight). I then learned that the problem was actually fin biting; I tried everything I could think of to stop the fin biting, but nothing worked and I shifted my focus to making sure his fins did not get infected. Of course, I also attempted to reduce his stress level the entire time.

Unfortunately, the fin biting was the least of our concerns. During the last few months of his life, he developed an illness that I just could not identify and heal. He became extremely lethargic, his colors dulled, his eyes bulged, and his fins would not grow back. I read up on fish health and tried to diagnose him based on his symptoms; diseases I suspected at one point or another included fungal infection, popeye, and ich. I tried antibiotic, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic medications to treat him. I used aquarium salt, and even tried an Epsom salt bath to get rid of whatever was ailing him. All to no avail; at most he would perk up for a little bit before the symptoms returned.

To complicate matters, my family had an out-of-state trip coming up. I did not know anyone who could adequately care for Nebby while I was gone, so I had to leave him on his own. It really worried me, but he survived this arrangement during earlier travels (including one the previous month), so I figured he would be fine. I set up the vacation feeder and made sure it worked, did a water change right before we left, added aquarium salt to the water, and hoped for the best.

On the flight home, I saw a rainbow among the clouds in the sky. At first I didn't really think much of it, although it did remind me of the Rainbow Bridge for some reason. When I arrived home, the very first thing I did was check on Nebby and that was when I saw him floating at the top of the aquarium. I gently stroked him with my finger in the hopes of waking him, but no response. That is the moment it struck me that he swam under the Rainbow Bridge, and I burst into tears.

My parents comforted me, and told me that I could get another betta once I was ready to do so (an idea that I am open to, though the new betta will never replace Nebby). My dad apologized for not considering my betta when setting the thermostat before we left, which was at 87 °F - this is what the water temperature was when I immediately tested it (I still need to test the other water parameters, just didn't have the heart to do it at the moment), and I suspect that this combined with the health problems is what lead to Nebby's death. Surprisingly I am not angry at my parents (yet), though I am furious at the Arizona summer heat.

That evening, we held a funeral for Nebby in our backyard. I hastily purchased a small wooden box from the craft store to bury him in, and decorated it with his name and a little bit of rainbow paper. We buried him between two citrus trees, and I marked his gravesite with a memorial stone that I painted. During the funeral, we saw a rainbow above our house; I like to believe that it was the Rainbow Bridge and that Nebby is now swimming under it, free from the ailment that has plagued him for months and no longer stressed from the weight of his long fins. This thought has provided some emotional comfort, though I still bawled like a baby. Here are some photos from the funeral:

Nebby's aquarium is still set up on the drawer in my bedroom. Seeing it empty of life is so weird and heartbreaking and I don't like it at all. I know I need to drain it and sanitize everything soon (especially if I decide to get another betta, as the aquarium will need to re-cycle), and I plan on doing that this weekend. Yet I can't get myself to do it; I think I'm still in the denial stage of grief and I'm afraid that the final cleaning of the aquarium will make the reality that Nebby is gone forever really set in.

Despite his struggles, I really hope that I was able to give Nebby the best life I could. I wish I could have done more for him and I am really going to miss my precious little fin-baby.

·
Registered
An estimated of a 130 fish and inverts and 16 canaries.
1,717 Posts
This is my precious little Nebby: https://www.petlossmessageboard.com/album?action=show_picture&fileid=6360423. He was a beautiful Cambodian-colored betta with long fins and a spunky personality. He was labeled as a "dragon scale betta," though I have since learned that this is inaccurate; I'm not exactly sure what breed he was, but I now suspect that he was a halfmoon betta, possibly a rosetail betta.

When I first saw him among the shipment of new bettas at the Petco I worked at, I knew right then and there that he was the betta of my dreams. Luckily he was still available when my aquarium was done cycling, so I put him on hold during one of my shifts and brought him home right after. I named him Nebby, after a character from Pokémon Sun and Moon.

When I first put Nebby into his new home (a 10-gallon aquarium), he did not know what to do with all of the new space. Once he settled in, he explored everything - and bullied the corydoras I also brought home with me (which I had to rehome because of him). While his long fins weighed him down, he had so much energy and just wanted to know about everything that went on around him. He would watch me when I tested the water parameters. When I conducted water changes, he would follow the siphon. He always had an appetite, and would wait to be fed in the feeding spot. Once he recognized me, he would come over just to greet me and get my attention; he would even follow my finger when I moved it across the glass. He was a feisty fish that flared a lot at his reflection, and he occasionally built huge bubble nests. Nebby was an amazing betta with a huge personality!

Sadly, Nebby was also not the healthiest of bettas. He seemed healthy when I brought him home, but a month or two afterwards he started to have fin problems. At first I thought it was fin rot and tried treating that, with limited success (the fins would grow back, then get all torn again overnight). I then learned that the problem was actually fin biting; I tried everything I could think of to stop the fin biting, but nothing worked and I shifted my focus to making sure his fins did not get infected. Of course, I also attempted to reduce his stress level the entire time.

Unfortunately, the fin biting was the least of our concerns. During the last few months of his life, he developed an illness that I just could not identify and heal. He became extremely lethargic, his colors dulled, his eyes bulged, and his fins would not grow back. I read up on fish health and tried to diagnose him based on his symptoms; diseases I suspected at one point or another included fungal infection, popeye, and ich. I tried antibiotic, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic medications to treat him. I used aquarium salt, and even tried an Epsom salt bath to get rid of whatever was ailing him. All to no avail; at most he would perk up for a little bit before the symptoms returned.

To complicate matters, my family had an out-of-state trip coming up. I did not know anyone who could adequately care for Nebby while I was gone, so I had to leave him on his own. It really worried me, but he survived this arrangement during earlier travels (including one the previous month), so I figured he would be fine. I set up the vacation feeder and made sure it worked, did a water change right before we left, added aquarium salt to the water, and hoped for the best.

On the flight home, I saw a rainbow among the clouds in the sky. At first I didn't really think much of it, although it did remind me of the Rainbow Bridge for some reason. When I arrived home, the very first thing I did was check on Nebby and that was when I saw him floating at the top of the aquarium. I gently stroked him with my finger in the hopes of waking him, but no response. That is the moment it struck me that he swam under the Rainbow Bridge, and I burst into tears.

My parents comforted me, and told me that I could get another betta once I was ready to do so (an idea that I am open to, though the new betta will never replace Nebby). My dad apologized for not considering my betta when setting the thermostat before we left, which was at 87 °F - this is what the water temperature was when I immediately tested it (I still need to test the other water parameters, just didn't have the heart to do it at the moment), and I suspect that this combined with the health problems is what lead to Nebby's death. Surprisingly I am not angry at my parents (yet), though I am furious at the Arizona summer heat.

That evening, we held a funeral for Nebby in our backyard. I hastily purchased a small wooden box from the craft store to bury him in, and decorated it with his name and a little bit of rainbow paper. We buried him between two citrus trees, and I marked his gravesite with a memorial stone that I painted. During the funeral, we saw a rainbow above our house; I like to believe that it was the Rainbow Bridge and that Nebby is now swimming under it, free from the ailment that has plagued him for months and no longer stressed from the weight of his long fins. This thought has provided some emotional comfort, though I still bawled like a baby. Here are some photos from the funeral:

Nebby's aquarium is still set up on the drawer in my bedroom. Seeing it empty of life is so weird and heartbreaking and I don't like it at all. I know I need to drain it and sanitize everything soon (especially if I decide to get another betta, as the aquarium will need to re-cycle), and I plan on doing that this weekend. Yet I can't get myself to do it; I think I'm still in the denial stage of grief and I'm afraid that the final cleaning of the aquarium will make the reality that Nebby is gone forever really set in.

Despite his struggles, I really hope that I was able to give Nebby the best life I could. I wish I could have done more for him and I am really going to miss my precious little fin-baby.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Nebby was beautiful. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts