Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I decided to actually make this cause I was lurking around this area, bored to death, and I'm pretty sure Dawn is sick of me, haha. My online name is Fawn Enasni, and I congratulate anyone who realizes what Enasni means. I'm 13 years old and I swear I have murdered anyone who decided to look down on me cause of being young.

I'm a lover dogs and horses, although I have never owned either. I go horseback riding whenever possible, which isn't often, but I still love it. My favorite horse is in a farm called Baymar. He's a dark-brown-almost-black and white paint named Splatter (and no I have not learned to canter sadly).

Since no one really cares about horses here, on to fish. My first two fish were gifts given by my aunt, uncle, and cousins. I was around 6 and named my two goldfish Goldy (DO NOT HATE ON ME FOR GOLDFISH ABUSE OKAY xD If it helps they died before they grew? No? Yeahhh I pity them). Yes, both Goldy. I was an odd child. And I automatically assumed that one with a black stripe on its lower fin was an older male and the normal smaller one was its younger sister (I based it off my life with me and my older brother. Yup, odd child).

Anyway, those were kept in probably a 2-2.5g (I can't tell) tank I still have. I'm using the Atlantis Pillars as I like to call them (picture below) now in my new tank. But my goldfish were kept with an air pump but no filter. Needless to say, they died (probably very quickly).

IMG_0062.jpg

My next fish was maybe around 9, and this was a crowntailed betta male named Bluey (I would like to say that I take pride in that name no matter what anyone says). He was blue with I think a red stripe in his fins. He was kept in the same conditions as the goldfish. He also died, though I don't remember if it was because of overfeeding or underfeeding or what. Swim in Peace, Bluey, and I'm still mad at Dad for not placing a rock where he buried you in the backyard.

I like to call Dawn my first betta because in all honesty, to me, he is. He's the first betta I truly love and take care of. He's a Dumbo betta, and no picture could do him justice. He's a beautiful rose pink that you can see from my PROFILE picture, not avatar. His tail starts at a beautiful fawn-color (ironic because of my online name) and extends to a white (only visible through profile since the avatar is a shadowy picture with light behind him, making him look majestic in my opinion).

Dawn lives in a 3.5 tank that was, sadly, not cycled. His heater is automatically set to 80, although I don't have a thermometer. He has an air pump (I know, not necessary, but it came with the filter) and a heater. He has four plastic plants in his tank. One is a orange lava plant as I like to call it (I'm weird okay), and the other three are extremely soft green plants that I like to think remind him of where he originated from.

IMG_0063.jpg

My favorite things to do with Dawn are have him weave between my fingers, have him follow my finger, have him follow the vibrations when I softly tap the glass, and for him to jump for his food. He also has a weird habit of biting at my pink string braid I made a long time ago.

He's very active, and while he doesn't dash around (nor does he have room to, sadly), he almost never stays still. I bought him September 25th and he had to stay in his cup for a little more than a week. Surprisingly, he was even active in his tiny PetSmart cup (everything I bought was from PetSmart). But now he is happily living there, being fed 2 Aqueon Betta Food Pellets at 3 pm and 2 at 10 pm. Still working on water changes though, and some tips for fish-in cycling are always helpful.

I'm open to any suggestions about easy toys to make for him, as he shows no interest to ping pong balls or bottle caps with food. I plan to try 1x1x1cm beads if I can find any.

Feel free to message me with any ideas or anything you might want to share.

Thank you for reading my overly-long intro, and I sincerely apologize for ranting/rambling.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
hi!:D your betta is beautiful! When I was fish in cycling I just did a PWC every day, and you should try to get a tank that has more surface area, but I like his set up:).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hola~ Why do I always switch off on greetings, I do not even know. I'd do Russian since I'm Russian but I don't have a keyboard. Ooh, one second while I switch to my phone.

Edit: привет!

Thank you! When I saw him at the store, I had dragged my parents in AGAIN to look at the fish and the kittens. I saw him and I knew I couldn't leave without him. I was originally gonna get those TINY cup-like tanks with a divider and then I went with the 3.5 and just one fish but no other stood out so I was fine (though I did like a nice blue one but it wasn't that special to me). I'm glad I got a big tank, it saved me trouble with going back to PetSmart and buying MORE stuff haha.

PWC is partial water changes right? Is like a cup per day enough? Since he seems fine so far, ammonia is changed when it gets too close to 0.5 (I've only have him in there for a few days so I only had it at that level once two days ago. Today it tested to be 0.25 so I changed a cup and I'll change more tomorrow/two days later.

The second he seems distressed in any way though, I make sure the levels are okay and the water is changed.

I also want to get more room for him, and maybe another betta by splitting a five gallon or something, but I kind of owe my parents $400 for my Mac (I already gave $800) PLUS I might have to pay for the $200 of this tank so...maybe in the far future lol, sorry Dawn.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Myself and a few others on the forum love horses. c: Anyway, hi! And welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you went with the 3.5 gallon. I'm sure you've done some research since joining here, but those itty bitty tank things are awful for bettas. :c And yes, PWC means partial water change. If the water ever gets above 0.25 I would change out some of the water. I would do half (50%). Kudos on keeping up with your water testing!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Myself and a few others on the forum love horses. c: Anyway, hi! And welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you went with the 3.5 gallon. I'm sure you've done some research since joining here, but those itty bitty tank things are awful for bettas. :c

Yeah, it broke my heart to keep him in his tiny cup for two weeks till everything was set up. He's amazing though, he was still active as ever and jumping for his food happily. He's never blown a bubble best though, I wonder if he isn't sexually mature or just doesn't like to.

And yes, PWC means partial water change. If the water ever gets above 0.25 I would change out some of the water. I would do half (50%). Kudos on keeping up with your water testing!
I did a change at 0.5 that one time and with one large red cup of changed water and Prime, it was back to below .25 by the end of the day, so I'll keep trying that. Apparently it worked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh by the way, won't doing a full water change take away the bacteria gained in the water from cycling…?

It's cute, my boy doesn't flare or make bubble nests but he was so happy even in the cup that I know I can keep the lid off whenever I'm somewhat nearby and he would never jump. He can't jump that high, even if he wanted to. He didn't even back in the cup, but there he probably could. He's just such a happy betta it's weird. Nothing fazes him for too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts