Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my fluval spec for a few months now. After upgrading from a crappy 3.5g with fake plants, I’ve decided to try the real thing. So I’ve been adding plants slowly. My latest purchase being the Water Sprite, wanted something slow growing, guess the guy who sold it to me didn’t know what he was talking about. I like the way it looks so, I’m keeping it for now.

I will try to add pictures.

So the plan is to remove the tall log on the left, take the java fern out of the pot and tie or stuff it into the holes of a piece of wood I bought. Want to have it placed on an angle. Kind of working the smaller pieces on the highest point, taller pieces on the lowest part. The Sprite I will take out of the pot and either tie the ends with a weight, I like the way it looks now, or have it floating. Anubius nana will stay on the driftwood.

Although I have had tanks before, I am entirely new to this real plant thing. I welcome any suggestions, whether it’s placement or type of plant. Whatever! :) since I’m taking out the tall log, I don’t quite know what to do with the “mushroom” type ornament on the right, it’s his favourite place to hide. Put it on the left? Any help is appreciated.

Btw, I previously had a brown algae problem, found out 2 of my 3 moss balls smelled bad, took them out a few weeks ago. Algae has been fine ever since.

Hopefully in order is a pic of my tank when I first got it, a pic of it now, and a pic of the wood I want to attach th fern to.

Sorry for the long post. You are my go to peeps for advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
IMHO you could buy some Java Moss and tie it or superglue it all over the mushroom ornament. It'll eventually grow to cover the entire thing if you trim it right. I do like how it looks though. With the new wood, could you put the 'hook' on the left into the hole in the top of the mushroom ornament and have the wood come 'arch' down over the Anubias?

·
Super Moderator
2,484 Posts
When you're designing the tank, do some reading on 'The Rule of Thirds'. Remember for aquariums, you have to apply this in a three dimensional space, so you technically have to apply two 'rule of thirds'.
While that piece of wood is beautiful, it looks a little to big to be the focal point in that tank in that orientation. You may be able to turn or angle it, or try to hide part behind the mushroom, but I had the same problem with a gorgeous piece that I just couldn't use in my smaller tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts