Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just love this forum I am learning so much! And the more I know the better I can ensure a long happy life for my fishy friends. My question for today has to do with water changes. Tank #1 is 9 gals it has a filter and heater. The inhabitants are 1 Betta, 5 ember tetras, 1 panda cory and 2 small nerite snails. I test the water every other day and my readings are pretty consistent with ammonia at 0.25ppm, nitrites at 0ppm and nitrates between 10 and 20ppm. Since I cant ever seem to get the ammonia down to 0 I am doing 50% water changes every other day adding 18 drops of prime each time. I do tend to over feed because my betta is a baby 9 weeks old now so I feed him 4 times a day to help him grow. Doing water changes every other day seems a little excessive to me but I am scared to let the ammonia get any higher than 0.25. All my fish look healthy and happy but I want to make sure I am not hurting them with all the water changes. Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi!
Maybe this article helps? Be sure and vacuum the substrate :)

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,012 Posts
Get a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. It will tell you if the API test is reading the toxic NH3 or non-toxic NH4 (Ammonium). The API test doesn't differentiate between the two as it reads them as the same thing. I can get more technical if you wish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts