Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hope you can help me figure this out. I've had Phil for about two months. He seemed to have always had a little gill inflammation but was active and eating well. I was treating with aquarium salt and doing 25 percent water changes twice weekly and a full water change weekly.

Well last week I didn't add the aquarium salt. I also missed a partial water change. On Thursday he didn't eat. I didn't have time to worry about getting the pellets out before I went to work. Big mistake. When I got home I noticed his gills were much worse. I did an immediate full water change. I tried to feed him again while he was in his cup. He refused to eat then rubbed against the bottom of the cup. I put him back in his clean tank with aquarium salt. He seemed to settle back into his normal behavior but still wouldn't eat. Yesterday he ate well with the pellets being soaked in garlic.

His gills are inflamed but not red. They're black but he is black/dark blue so I assume that's his coloring. He's only rubbed against something once.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 50%, 1 full change weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, sometimes aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I use the test strips. Ammonia ranges between ideal and safe.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gills inflamed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Usually active, sometimes fins clamped
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Have had him two months, always had some gill inflammation but recently got much worse
Have you started treating your fish? aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? has always had a little gill inflamation
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea

· Registered
3,886 Posts
You could try Prazipro if he isn't terrible weak it takes care of gill flukes and other parasites or Lifeguard if you can't get Prazpiro fast enough. ( I am not sure if Lifeguard treats gill flukes you'd want to call the company it does say external parasites) Lifeguard is normally sold at Walmart. Be sure to dose Prazipro and Lifeguard properly for two gallons if you choose it.

· Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Do you think medication would hurt him if he doesn't have parasites? He's acting fine but his gills don't close all the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.