Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have two 1.5 gallon tanks (Tetra Cube) with filter, heater (stays at about 77 degrees), gravel substrate, and an anubias in one and two amazon swords in the other (a gorgeous, graceful orange betta in one, a black and red rock'n'roll betta in the other).

One tank has been set up almost three weeks, the other has been set up for almost a week (this one also has a ghost shrimp in it--he's super feisty).

I check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels every other day. My ammonia is spiking to .5 in each tank. The other levels are staying at zero. I'm doing 50-75% water changes every other day. Each time I check it again, it's back to the dreaded green on my api test kit.

I've heard tanks this size don't cycle, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong that's causing this. Could it be related to the plants? I don't know how healthy they are, especially the swords despite the root tab, but could that be the problem? I'm looking to take one of the tanks to work but if I can't go a day without a big water change, I'm best to keep it at home. Any advice??

Thanks so much guys.

·
Registered
212 Posts
it sounds like your tap water may have some amo. in it. .5 really isn't a problem but I would keep checking. if it gets higher than that, i would buy some amo. remover to help things go down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! My tap water is ammonia free. I test it each time as a control to compare the color to--the yellow to green is sometimes impossible for my eyes to recognize. There's a distinct difference between the tank water and the tap water. Any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts