Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have an odd question. My 3 gallon tank is unfiltered and therefore uncycled. Could I add a dose of Seachem Stability to put bacteria into my tank, would it work to make my water safer? I put 1 drop per gallon of Prime in to detoxify ammonia daily, I wonder if adding 3 to 5 drops per gallon of Stability daily or every other day would "facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate" as it says on their website. Or would the bacteria die since the tank is not filtered and make the water more toxic instead of less?

I do one 50% and one 100% water change weekly, and I'm okay with that and have no plans on doing less than that. I'm just wondering if adding bacteria would make the water healthier between water changes. I do not want to have a filter in the tank, so that is not an option.

I just wanted to pose this question and have the wonderful people on this forum think it through for me. Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, I've stumped the panel, I win! :)
Seriously though, the more I think about this the less sense it makes. Seachem Stability has bacteria in a spore form, and I don't believe that they will hatch if I don't have a filter or an airstone.

Registered
Benificial bacteria will colonize any surface. Water flow makes it better, but there are some on the walls of your tank right now. Seachem Stability may add more, but if it is an established tank, probably not.

However, other things that add surface area will help. A sponge, even not hooked up to an airstone will help. So will putting in bio-balls and just letting them sit. So will adding a plastic castle or skull.

However, none of these things will help as much as if you have something that will cause the water to flow through them.

If you mount a heater horizontally, and put a bunch of bio-balls or sponge material under it, you might actually get a testable difference, if your bio-load is really low.

Really, your best bet is to get a cheap sponge filter, it will cost only a little more than a single bottle of stability (including a pump).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.