·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Sponge filter (so sorta)
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A few pond snails snuck in on plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8
Hardness: No idea
Alkalinity: No idea

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The base of his anal fin is slowly changing to a brownish red and working its way out towards the edge of his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems to swim around less and hangs out under the floating plant at the top corner of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago. It has slowly been progressing
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have an indian almond leaf in the tank right now but nothing else so far.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No history
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him 6 months ago and he was likely 6 months old when I got him. So probably around a year.

About a week ago my Betta started getting a brownish red color on his anal fin. It seems to be growing in size and focused around the base of his anal fin against his body. There also appears to be a few red specks near the edges of his anal fin as well. None of his other fins have this coloring. He seems to be less active lately so I'm wondering what is going wrong here. Additionally the edges of his fins have started to curl very slightly. I've heard it could be due to hard water (which I do have).

Any ideas what is going on here?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's just his natural coloration :) he's coloring up to his full potential. Even though they can be over a year, they can still change their colors a little bit; nothing like a marble but they never quite stop coloring up :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.