Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I be concerned that my new guy isn't eating? We got him Saturday, PETCO guy said he fed him Friday, and I really haven't seen him eat anything yet. I did a 50% water change today and cleaned up most old food that had sunk to the bottom. I currently have Aqueon pellets, I also tried a flake today, but it's just floating in his tank. Today is the first day he's actually been swimming around and exploring...thoughts?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Most bettas go through a small period of time in which they acclimate to there surroundings and new areas. Some during this time also acclimate to the new food and are too stressed to eat it or aren't used to eat it so also get used to the new food. I would try soaking the pellets in garlic juice as most bettas will eat them. Or try a new more nutritional value food such as atisons Betta pro, omega one, and new life spectrum. These are all highly recommended foods. I would highly suggest that you change from your current foods to the new ones. Hikari is also a well known brand

·
Registered
980 Posts
How often did the petco guy say you should feed him? I'm curious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He told me they feed them every other day because they're in small cups, but once in a bigger tank to feed him twice/day. At the time I didn't think to ask what they feed them, I just bought "betta" food and assumed it would be OK. I ordered blood worms and different food from Amazon (the food someone mentioned that starts with H), but they're not supposed to arrive until next week...

·
Registered
562 Posts
He may be getting used to the new food. I'm not sure what they feed the bettas, but I think petco feeds omega one flakes to the other fish, so they may be feeding omega one pellets to the bettas? Sometimes it takes a betta a while before they give in and start eating.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Some fish take a few days before they eat anything.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the Aqueon Betta pellets and my fish love them (all 9). Sometimes it just takes awhile for them to get used to their new home like Mo said.

Don't fret about him starving or anything like that, Bettas can go a long time without eating and survive (a month). If you really want to tempt him you can try some frozen Blood Worms, thaw them out and put acouple in his tank. I would give him a few days first before trying this so he gets more time getting used to his tank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
give him a small bit, and if he does not eat it stop.

He will get hungry sooner or later, but don't let food accumulate in the water or it will turn the water bad.

I feed mine frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. they never turn that down!

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much. I would give him one pellet two times a day and if he doesn't eat it take it out. It took one of my boys 2 weeks before he would eat. So I wouldn't worry about it much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He doesn't even seem interested in the food. The first day we got him he would take it then spit it out...right now he doesn't even go near the food. I tried the garlic, (my husband thought I was crazy) but again, he didn't even try it....

·
Registered
655 Posts
What are you feeding him right now? Give him a couple more days without trying to give him any food at all then try some frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms or some glassworms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts