Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always considered myself super lucky because in the 15 years I've kept bettas I have never had a fin biter *knocks on wood*.

well... it happened....

I came home last week and my gorgeous new double tail has been taking bites out of his fins....

Now I know why everyone is so frustrated about fin biters....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ughh....fin biters are so frustrating! Actually, I'm extremely surprised that you've never had one. I've had quite a few over the years and honestly, I don't know why I even bother with long-finned bettas anymore. I only have 2 bettas right now and one is a fin biter. In fact, he just shredded his beautiful tail last night :mad:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I got extremely lucky? I was surprised I never encountered one either. I actually didn't even know that bettas bite their fins until I joined this forum.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I didn't know bettas bit their tails until I joined this forum also.

Jimmy used to be mostly good about his fins, but the past month or so, he's been ripping up his tail like crazy! oTL Midlife crisis image problems, all of a sudden?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 who fin bite, one's a halfmoon (Aros), other is delta (Galvorn). Anduin, my other delta, doesn't but he's going blind, so he doesn't even flare at his divided tank mate. It doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to see them with full, undamaged fins. Aros used to be a rough butterfly, and now he's mostly red b/c he's bitten off all the cellophane/white band. xP

I did get a bit annoyed when Galvorn, my black copper boy, started up with it. He had never bitten his fins besides one or two nips in his lifetime, but otherwise perfectly gorgeous fins... until... I got heaters for them. Cranking the temp up to a betta's comfie range caused him to get super hyper, build a bubble nest, which he felt he needed to defend fiercely from his divided tank mate (who he's lived with his whole life), and in the process, shredded his fins over it. -_- I watched it all happen within the span of a few hours. ....Ever since, he's been steadily taking chunks out of his tail. I'm super glad though that I got some gorgeous photos of him before he started doing that. lol That was at 82 degrees, so I keep the temp lower now (about 76-78) to stop them from becoming super-hyper-neurotic. lol

I'm hoping my newest koi boy doesn't start doing the same at some point. I would love to just keep plakats (never had one), but none are sold around my area. My Petco doesn't even sell the "plain", wild-colored kings anymore. I can be glad though that at least I don't have to worry about fin biting with my females. lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's hard to find the plakats, but I got one from PetsMart (and I have also seen them at PetCo) labelled as "DragonScale Male". My boy Prince Alexander never looked like a dragon scale to me (although he grew one scale over part of his eye, it never went further), but he did turn out to be a gorgeous HMPK. Sadly, he developed a tumor about a month ago (I'd had him for over a year) and he passed several days ago. I loved him, and after two long finned boys who had major fin issues, it was amazing to have a plakat with none of those problems.

So you might be able to get a plakat at PetCo or PetsMart, just look for the DragonScale. Not all of the ones labelled as DragonScale are actually dragon scales. Just realize they may not have great genetics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boy. =/

Yea, my Petco has dragonscales (and true, a lot aren't actually DS), but they always have longer fins. Haven't seen any plakats yet (except the kings they used to sell). ...Not that I need anymore fish atm. xD Maybe one day tho I'll find one. lol

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've never had a fin biting betta. I lucked in to liking plakats so fin biting hasn't been an issue for me. I really didn't know any better when I kept bettas as a kid, for all I know they could have all been fin biters. I too honestly didn't know the fin biting was a thing until I joined the forum.

It's kinda why I recommend plakats or kings to people just getting into the hobby. It takes fin biting out of the equation and lets them concentrate on water changes, filter maintenance, etc. instead of fin biting potentially turning to fin rot right out of the gate. But as TuiAndLa said, they can be super hard to find.

I feel your pain Viv. I got a beautiful school of black phantom tetras last week, each one was perfect. The girl in the store really took her time and picked me out the 8 best fish in the tank. I got 2 males and 6 females. From all my research black phantoms are supposed peaceful and while they will show territorial aggression, no damage is done in their petty squabbles.

8 days later all their fins have been torn to shreds by constant nipping and fighting. Each day when I get home from work I assess the damage and wonder if the fish are even going to have any fins left by the time I get them out of the quarantine tank and into the 40 gallon.

They have a planted 20 gallon with lots of driftwood and sight breaks but they continuously seek each other out to fight. I've been pumping them full of protein to no avail.

I guess I'm in for 3-4 years of this $#!+. I'm really starting to hate tetras, It's bettas & cichlids for me from now on.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
UGH I just get so mad at my biter. I love him, but it's hard when he's shredded his back fin the one of the top of his body and the one below his body. OMG it really kills me, he was so pretty. :-(

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually my petco carrries a lot of PKs lol

I'm usually not the type for the larger fined bettas but sometimes you just fall in love with one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Teo is my first and last halfmoon male. Its so frustrating to know I do my best to make him happy and he still wants to mutilate himself. I have stuffed his tank with real and silk plants, caves, low flow filter, IAL leaves, keep it dark, black sand substrate, and he still bites. SMH. My next bettas will be females or short fins from now on. :T

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Fin biters are the worst! Mine just took a third of his tail off just because he skipped dinner. He has a problem.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Teo is my first and last halfmoon male. Its so frustrating to know I do my best to make him happy and he still wants to mutilate himself. I have stuffed his tank with real and silk plants, caves, low flow filter, IAL leaves, keep it dark, black sand substrate, and he still bites. SMH. My next bettas will be females or short fins from now on. :T
Same. I LOVE HM Bettas, but it's just so frustrating. I'm like you, I do my absolute best to keep him happy and healthy, and he still chews half his tail off! I even changed his decor, rocks and all! I haven't seen any new bites here lately so maybe he's stopped.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I wonder: has anyone on here actually been successful in stopping fin biting? I can't say I've been particularly successful. I can keep them from getting infected but they still bite :/

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wonder: has anyone on here actually been successful in stopping fin biting? I can't say I've been particularly successful. I can keep them from getting infected but they still bite :/
My betta used to tail bite until i baffled the filter. he has stopped, however his fins are still healing :)
Sometimes, it's just a habit for bettas. Think of it like nailbiting in humans, except that we can't put nail polish in their fins to stop them >_<

·
Registered
883 Posts
Plakats can be fin biters too! I have an EEHMPK boy who managed to bite big chunks out of his pectorals a while ago and just recently took some small bites out of his caudal. In his case I think it might have been because his tank is next to another male betta's. They are now separated by a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am suspecting that my betta is a fin-biter.... I think he bites whenever I pay less attention to him. T T
I first became suspicious after my nightshifts that some of his dorsal fins looked mildly trimmed. Today I came back from a 2 day trip, and there's a visible single bite mark in his dorsal fin now D:

Tested his parameters - pH 8.2 (It's always been this level), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. So it's not the water. He has a drift wood, lots of live plants, a sponge filter, an adjustable heater with a themometer in the opposite side. Nothing feels sharp on waterchange. He's still very active.

I feel so sad that he does this, I can't always be around and his fin will take so long to re-grow!
The next betta I get will definitely be a plakat

·
Registered
135 Posts
I stopped Teo for a few months by buying those gaudy plastic aquarium 'jewels' then spreading them out over the sand in his tank and he spent his days admiring all the pretty colors while his tail healed. However after a few months, he went back to his fin biting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts