Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure my fish is a mix between a veil tail and a crown tail. Before I put him in his aquarium his fins were curling... That seems to have healed or is well on its way to healing.

BUT.... now his fin is tearing!! Please look at the photo. #1 shows no tears, #2 shows a tear starting, and #3 is what it's like now and I only noticed it today.

Everything in his tank is soft, but there is a piece of mopani wood that I put in there.

Do you think he's in pain? Will it repair itself? I'm worried that it will tear all the way up to his body!! :shock:

HELP!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I took the third photo tonight, another chunk of his fin is missing and it's not in the tank. Could he be eating his own fins???

And.... where did my photo go????

·
Registered
658 Posts
To upload a picture, click *go advanced* under your post, and upload an attachment from your computer. it's a paperclip icon on the toolbar. or if you have the pic on a hosting site, you can copy/paste an code.
Not seeing pics, if whole chunks go missing, and there is a U shape to the damage, it's tailbiting, if they are clean tears, it can be from decor or sometimes just flaring. As long as you don't see black edging to the damage, it'll grow back. And no, it doesn't hurt him at all. Hope you can get the pic up though!

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's ok, I don't think he's stressed or anything to need a covering, unless you see him flaring at his reflection on the glass a lot.
Tears like his are pretty common, and heal quite fast, you just need to stay on top of water changes so the edges don't get fin rot from ammonia and other nasties.
I'd check his decor extra careful to make sure there aren't any spikey parts, those silk plants may still have some sharp edges on plastic stems. You don't necessarily have to remove them if they do, just use something to smooth out any points.

He's a beautiful boy, and lucky to have an owner who is caring :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took this photo. I found only a few small pieces of fin in the tank when I did a water change today. I think it means he is eating his own fin.

Does flaring include wiggling around a lot? He doesn't stick his gills out much... only once in a while. But he can be pretty spastic and wiggles around a lot and bounces off the glass.

I put a black sheet around him for the night cause I read that it might calm him down.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you :) He is such a sweet fishy. I <3 him!!

I've been doing 10-15% water changes every other day cause I don't have a kit yet. Today he had a lot of debris so I did a 50% change. I hope I'm not the one stressing him out by all that pumping with the syphon. It keeps messing up his bubble nests.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's possible he's tail biting, but I am leaning towards decor. Does he like to wriggle in between leaves in tight places? A large % of them really like trying to wedge themselves into places, mine sure do! If he's doing this, some of those plastic parts could be snagging him. Sometimes their tails are hardly more than wet tissue paper it seems sometimes.
That's a little exaggeration, but not much of one.

I'd make absolutely certain there can't possibly be anything he's snagging on, then double check, then when you're certain, check one more time!

If it's 100% not him catching on something, then look into tailbiting, there is a lot on it on this forum, and way too many things to try to get him to stop for me to get into here. Some never stop for good, but aside from them looking ragged, it really doesn't hurt them as long as new growth is encouraged with sparkly clean water.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been doing large water changes every day for a couple days (water is still cloudy and I think it's from my 'instant aquarium' sand) and he has some new growth coming in!! :-D

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's ok, I don't think he's stressed or anything to need a covering, unless you see him flaring at his reflection on the glass a lot.
Tears like his are pretty common, and heal quite fast, you just need to stay on top of water changes so the edges don't get fin rot from ammonia and other nasties.
I'd check his decor extra careful to make sure there aren't any spikey parts, those silk plants may still have some sharp edges on plastic stems. You don't necessarily have to remove them if they do, just use something to smooth out any points.

He's a beautiful boy, and lucky to have an owner who is caring :)
Just the thread I needed. I noticed yesterday my betta has some "splits" in his tail, and even though he has all silk plants that I put in his new home 6-7 weeks ago lately he has started to like snuggling into some of the smaller leaves when he rests. I looked them over and there are some plastic "stems" on the plant that end in sort of a point! I wonder if he's swimming over one of these and it's tearing his tail. What works to eliminate these? I thought of snipping it off but afraid I'd make more sharp edges. Sand them off with sandpaper? Put a glob of aquarium sealant over them?
To heal, is it enough to keep up with water changes or should something else be added to the water to promote healing?

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's enough to just keep up with water changes. Some people say stresscoat and/or Indian Almond Leaves promote faster growth.

As to getting edges off, I'd go with sandpaper or a nail file to make sure the edges are smooth, then rinse well so no dust is lingering on the surface. While you have them pulled out, make sure there aren't any teeny prongs of uneven plastic. Those are more of a culprit I think than pointy ends that are part of the design (they're usually pretty sharp, like a sliver and easily snag fins)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.