Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and hope I am posting this in the right area.
I have two bettas- one is a veil tail (Smaug) and he is super new to me. Still adjusting to his surroundings, a little shy but curious. Another I have had now for a few months. He is a crowntail betta (Pinkman) and always likes to greet me with a flare.
I've purchased a freshwater snail each for their tanks. Smaug is completely uninterested in the snail. May go to look at it but swims away instantly.
The snail in Pinkman's tank took almost a day to warm up and get moving around, but I got up this morning and he's stuck to the side at the water line. Pinkman is not only enthralled by the snail but can't look at it without flaring up. The snail isn't even moving around, he just looks like a rock stuck to this side. An antenna popped out and Pinkman bit at it.
Pinkman flares up a lot and is really ferocious with his food when he eats it. Do you think he will get use to the snail or do you think that it will stress him out too much?
I have had a snail before with a female and they got on fine. She was a bit of a bully and would knock it off the top sometimes.
Don't want my fish to be unhappy, I just wanted something to entertain him.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Some Betta fish are more aggressive than others. My male would probably do well with a snail, my female on the other hand, probably wouldn't appreciate it too much. She would probably try to kill it or eat it.
Your fish is either curious about whether its food or not, or not happy that he has to share his home with another living creature.
He may not ever get used to it, he may try to harass it, he may try to eat it. Give it another day or two and see how it goes, if he continues to act aggressively towards it, you may want to remove the snail. If he begins to ignore it, you're probably ok to leave it in there.

Reactions: Hallyx
1 - 2 of 2 Posts