Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ugh my tanks have completely stopped cycling. I got a nitrite reading about 2 weeks ago and then some nitrates. I did a change the substrate since then to sand. After I got the substrate and a PWC I dosed the ammonia right into the filter. It's a whisper internal filter. Since then my cycle has been frozen; do I need to start all over? I did some water changes to remove the nitrates and nitrites that were in the water. I even got desperate enough to throw some Safestart in the tank since the freeze about 4 days ago. So now I have been stuck with ammonia and it's not budging at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on someone has to have something... Everything was going so well I don't get how changing the substrate brought it to a stand still.
(shameless bump I'm so frustrated....)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sorry you've been having trouble with your cycle, Mike. Changing the substrate would have an effect on the cycle as that is where most of the good bacteria grows. This would set your cycle back. I'm also a little worried about the dumping the ammonia directly in the filter. Ammonia is toxic and will kill bacteria in high concentrations. I'm really sorry, but you possibly restarted your cycle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is going to sound bad but that was the most convenient place to throw it in. Yeah I'm pretty certain that I have reset it. I'm just concerned that I've ruined the media for bacteria growth with the ammonia being dosed into the filter. As I've had the tank set up and running with the sand for a week now and last time with gravel by this time I had at least a trace of nitrites.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it down to 3.0 after having it at 5 possibly 8. I have the tetra internal whisper filter cartridge. I imagine the carbon is dead in it.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
What kind of testing products are you using, what are the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH on the tank and the source water without any additives.
What size tank, water temp, any live plants, what is the finial stocking plan for the tank, have you cleaned or changed the filter media, how many days has the tank been running......you are using pure ammonia for the ammonia source correct....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the levels are 0 on my tap water for all three. The tank is currently at 3.0 ammonia and 0 for the "N's". The tank is at 83*. The PH is around 7.6. It's been a week since I changed the substrate and did not touch the filter media. The ammonia is the ammonia clear 360 home brand from food lion. It's clear with no scents and when you shake it doesn't foam or bubble. The only ingredient listed is Ammonium Hydroxide..

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
What size tank and what is the finial stocking plan, do you have any live plants in the tank, additives used-What kind of testing products-what is the source water-well water, tap water...etc....and if city supplied tap water-do you have any type of home filter system or water softener on the tap...the filter is running all the time....

Is this your first time to cycle and do you understand the nitrogen cycle-I ask so I know what info to give you...also, is this your only freshwater tank or do you have another filtered tank that you can seed from...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The filter is running all the time. Yes I do understand the cycle about ammonia being broken down to nitrites then those to nitrates. I don't have an established tank. I did add tetra safestart and been using tetra aquasafe to treat the water. I have city water and it is soft water.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10 gallon
1 Betta, 5 habrosus corydoras, 2 amano shrimp
Tetra Aquasafe and Safestart (only two things put in other than water and ammonia)
Was going to plant after cycled but have no clue what yet (low light and maintenance plants)

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
It can take 4-8 weeks to get the nitrogen cycle establish...good that you don't have live plants yet...this will make it easier.....

Test daily and keep the ammonia at 3-4ppm...I assume you are using the liquid reagent type test products....correct....

You say you have soft water...do you know the KH/GH.....your pH is fine and shouldn't cause any issue with cycling....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I do not know the KH/GH. The good news is that I came home and tested tonight and I have traces of nitrites so my BB is finally reestablishing. I guess I just wasn't being patient enough; patience is something I'm short on a lot with things in life. I have no intention in messing with anything in the tank until it is finished lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts