Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my betta in a gallon fishbowl, but I soon realized that was horrible for her so now I'm finally able to upgrade to a 3-gallon tank, which isn't the best I know, but I have a lack of space for anything bigger as of now. My new tank has a heater, a filter and a light, we'll be getting live plants soon as well. My question is; I've been using bottled water called Betta Pro, but that has been getting too expensive with all the water changes at $2 a bottle/liter. I've got AquaSafe dechlorinator for tap water I'll be putting in the new tank, is this going to cause any problems or stress by changing water types? Also, any advice for properly and safely switching tanks would be super appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's better to put the tap water in a bucket or container and treat it with the dechlorinator and let it sit atleast 24 hours first before you put it in your betta bowl.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's better to put the tap water in a bucket or container and treat it with the dechlorinator and let it sit atleast 24 hours first before you put it in your betta bowl.
Alright, thanks :) she won't be going back in the bowl after we get the new tank set up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that goes for the tank too of course =D
I'm kind of worried this tank switch is going to stress her out though, I've looked into it quite a bit, but I don't know how she'll react to the different water, the heater and filter and such. Any idea how I can make it as easy as possible on her?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Use some of the water in the bowl during the transfer. Betta fish are really hardy, in the long run the bigger tank is going to be better. I do highly recommend some decoration for the betta to hide in. A small cave etc. Betta's need to be able to hide. This helps ALOT with stress issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use some of the water in the bowl during the transfer. Betta fish are really hardy, in the long run the bigger tank is going to be better. I do highly recommend some decoration for the betta to hide in. A small cave etc. Betta's need to be able to hide. This helps ALOT with stress issues.
Thank you! I have one in her current bowl, I'll buy a few more for the bigger tank. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No problem. One more thing to add, you can try the filter at first, see how the fish is. If it appears to be too much leave it off for now, let the betta adjust for a bit then try it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts