Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cousins are in for christmas and I recently cleaned my Betta tank as I do twice a week (small tank). Paul, my veil betta, is normally very active even after water changes. He's normally flaring at me and watching me as I play on my computer and talk to him (I believe he likes the attention) ,but after I cleaned his tank I fed him, a pinch of bettamin, (as I do twice every day) and my cousins had to watch. He has a castle in the center of his tank. He came out to eat but wouldnt eat with my cousins watching. He just sat behind his castle peaking out at them. Eventually they got bord with him and left my room. I closed the door and he began to eat. Today he was basking under his lamp watching me as usual but when they came in he backed off of it and sat in the center of his tank over his castle. Sometimes he cowers if they watch him for a long period of time. I think he's just antisocial.

Is this normal? Is it possible hes getting too stressed by them? Should I make them stay away from his tank?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well they aren't his people, they're strangers. Betta are really smart, so maybe he doesn't know what to do near them. I'd say it isn't an issue, my dad's fish likes my parents but hates me. They hand feed him, but he won't eat in front of me. Instead he flares up and tries to chase me away. Think of it this way: your fish only loves you. And yeah, I'd tell them to go away after a couple min, no long exposure

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Like the PP said, your fish is wary of them because they are strangers. Who knows, maybe they're too loud, too brightly colored, or one or all of them tapped on his tank and scared him when you weren't around, etc.
Don't worry, this is normal behavior, he's not being antisocial, he's either scared of them, or being cautious because he doesn't know what their intentions towards him are.

·
Registered
453 Posts
He's probably just not too used to having strangers around. I'm sure it'll be fine unless your cousins actively stress him by chasing him around or splash his water around, which I'm sure they're not.

One of my kitties absolutely used to hate strangers. Wouldn't see a trace of her when people came by. After we invited more and more friends over she slowly learned that they meant no harm, and even though she's still weary of them, at least she doesn't bolt at the sound of a stranger approaching the door anymore. And yes I know, cats aren't fish, but I'm sure their instinct to protect themselves work about the same.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Lol @Aryia my cat is really social even with strangers but he is scared to death of toddlers. We don't know why, but he fluffs up and runs away from kids and toddlers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lol I think it's pretty common for cats to dislike babies.. my cat hates babies of any species.
I've never personally experienced a betta acting different around different people, but it does happen. Maybe you can have one cousin at a time come look at him so he's not as overwhelmed, offer him a bloodworm or another treat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My bettas don't react the same to my husband as they do to me. They don't hide, but they don't dance around as much.

I also have two cats. The male is very curious and will run to the door if someone knocks. The female is very skittish and will almost break her neck to get under something or into a cabinet if someone knocks on the door. Just depends on the personality of the animal, I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts