Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Betta called Bowie that has a thing called “Diamond eye”... it’s a recessive gene in bettas that basically means they over produce scales and over time the scales can start to cover the eye/eyes...
Crazy hey!!? Bowie probably has 0-5% vision on his left side and about 50% on his right.

His very happy and finds food with no problem.. I’m just interested if anyone else has delt with it or had a blind Betta at any point ... ?

Any experienced welcome ☺

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Your Bowie doesn't look like dragon. Nor does he show dragon related scales.

I know little about illnesses, so I don't know if the term is the same (eye illness/disorder). But the clouding of his eyes isn't caused by dragon scaling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His a dumbo, his breeder gave him to me cheep before of the scale coved
Your Bowie doesn't look like dragon. Nor does he show dragon related scales.

I know little about illnesses, so I don't know if the term is the same (eye illness/disorder). But the clouding of his eyes isn't caused by dragon scaling.
I think It's most common in dragon scales, but can happen in regular bettas as well. Bowie is a Dumbo!! :)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I have two dragon females that are slowly growing scales over their eyes. I always feed them in the same spot. I use a plastic pipette for frozen/thawed foods and squeeze the pipette so the worms or shrimp hang out the tip but not fall. It feels like spoon feeding them lol but they get good meals. 😁 neither of them are completely blind yet, they can still see But I know eventually they could be so I stick to a good routine.

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
FWIW, indjo has been breeding Betta for donkey's years and knows his genetic. He is also correct: Dragons are the type that have the genetic predisposition for Diamond Eye. Other types can suffer from cataracts but not Snake Eye (it has a ton of names). The scales grow over the eyes and form a hard, opaque cover.

Just to see, I Googled and was amazed at the misinformation and misidentification from people who are just regurgitating something they read. One even identified as Diamond Eye a spot that is in the middle of the Betta's eye but the surrounding area is perfectly clear. How does scale overgrowth start in the middle and spread outward???? :unsure:

There are no scales growing over Bowie's eyes; the cloudiness is are not opaque; it is not thick. The left looks like an injury or cataracts. Note the difference in a Betta that does suffer from Diamond Eye. And the one below from the beginnings of same. Both are Dragons.
DiamondEye.jpg

DiamondEyeStart.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Google is full of useless crap I know. I was told it was diamond eye so that’s what I researched.. as long as it’s not an illness that causing him any pain or problems (his very active and playful) I’m happy to commit to a blind fish if it goes that way. so does cataract mean he’s old ? At what age approx would a Betta start to get cataracts ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 1019482 View attachment 1019483 I have two dragon females that are slowly growing scales over their eyes. I always feed them in the same spot. I use a plastic pipette for frozen/thawed foods and squeeze the pipette so the worms or shrimp hang out the tip but not fall. It feels like spoon feeding them lol but they get good meals. 😁 neither of them are completely blind yet, they can still see But I know eventually they could be so I stick to a good routine.
Great advise!! yeh Iv read some of that :) his sight is fine for the mo .. I have started to do a few taps at feeling time to get his attention .. haha he loves the Turkey baster cos that’s how i get pellets down to the Cory’s lol

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
Personally, I would rather deal with cloudy eye than Diamond Eye. At least with cloudy eye there's a chance they have at least partial sight; Diamond Eye, none.

Feed at suggested and don't do much changing to aqua-scaping.

Believe it or not, he will always sense when you approach his tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s interesting cos Iv had him 3 months in tip top water and it’s had no change (that I can notice) so I’m hoping it’s just stopped progressing . .. I did buy him from one of those horrible jars so water condition prior to me may not have been great. .

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
His a dumbo, his breeder gave him to me cheep before of the scale coved

I think It's most common in dragon scales, but can happen in regular bettas as well. Bowie is a Dumbo!! :)
Just to clarify (sorry, off topic - in case you misinterpreted);
Dumbo or Elephant Ears (EE) is determined by big pectorals. While dragon is about the scaling. So a betta can be both dragon and EE - one individual may have both dragon scales and big pectorals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts