Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I had a pretty vivid dream that something was horribly wrong with my betta. Before I went to bed last night, I fed them dinner, did a 25% weekly water change, vacuumed the substrate and checked the parameters which were just right. I let them relax a bit before lights out. About an hour later they were all calming down and settling into their normal sleeping spots, so I said goodnight and turned off the lights to let them sleep. Occasionally throughout the night if I can't sleep, I'll come down stairs and turn on a dull light just to see if they're sleeping well. I have a couple night owls, but as a whole they all sleep real soundly. But I still worry from time to time. Especially after the little disappearance act from my molly Andromeda a few weeks ago! Little brat.

Well once I went to sleep I had this dream that Neo my betta had jumped out of his tank. He only did this once in real life and it was in pursuit of food, but in my dream it was out of a panic. I tried putting him back in, but he kept jumping out almost instantly, like the water was poisoned or something. But I knew I just did a water change so it couldn't be that. I saran wrapped the opening in the lid, but he just died in the water minutes later. All the other fish were fine, and I was so upset in my dream and started going over what I did before bed, that maybe I did something wrong. Did I condition the water before adding it to the tank? I was sure I did! Did I not double check the temperature?

When I woke up I came straight down stairs and was so relieved to see him bright eyed and bushy tailed as always. But geez that dream really got to me! 😫

Anyone else ever go through this, or am I just eccentric? 🤨

·
Registered
45 Posts
So last night I had a pretty vivid dream that something was horribly wrong with my betta. Before I went to bed last night, I fed them dinner, did a 25% weekly water change, vacuumed the substrate and checked the parameters which were just right. I let them relax a bit before lights out. About an hour later they were all calming down and settling into their normal sleeping spots, so I said goodnight and turned off the lights to let them sleep. Occasionally throughout the night if I can't sleep, I'll come down stairs and turn on a dull light just to see if they're sleeping well. I have a couple night owls, but as a whole they all sleep real soundly. But I still worry from time to time. Especially after the little disappearance act from my molly Andromeda a few weeks ago! Little brat.

Well once I went to sleep I had this dream that Neo my betta had jumped out of his tank. He only did this once in real life and it was in pursuit of food, but in my dream it was out of a panic. I tried putting him back in, but he kept jumping out almost instantly, like the water was poisoned or something. But I knew I just did a water change so it couldn't be that. I saran wrapped the opening in the lid, but he just died in the water minutes later. All the other fish were fine, and I was so upset in my dream and started going over what I did before bed, that maybe I did something wrong. Did I condition the water before adding it to the tank? I was sure I did! Did I not double check the temperature?

When I woke up I came straight down stairs and was so relieved to see him bright eyed and bushy tailed as always. But geez that dream really got to me! 😫

Anyone else ever go through this, or am I just eccentric? 🤨
This isn't really a dream I've had but the first night I had my Betta I couldn't sleep because every half hour or so I had to keep going to check that he was still okay. He was of course, but the poor thing probably didn't get much rest that night! :)

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't really a dream I've had but the first night I had my Betta I couldn't sleep because every half hour or so I had to keep going to check that he was still okay. He was of course, but the poor thing probably didn't get much rest that night! :)
Haha that's cute 😊

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 5 Shrimp, 1 Mouse, 2 Hissing roaches
716 Posts
You're not alone! I've had a few similar to that over the years.

When I first went from sponge filter to a hanging over the back filter with a past Betta, his name was Azerbaijan, I had a dream that I'd woken up and found him dead. Having been sucked into the filter.
It didn't exactly help that this kid could barely see and made my worries worse. Luckily, it never happened!

And when Moroz Rosett was being shipped to me (Came from New York to the deep south) I couldn't sleep that entire night. The sleep I did manage to grab I dreamed of him arriving to me DOA.
Worried about nothing though, he arrived in a state of fury that still hasn't let up LOL

So sorry you had to deal with that though, glad to hear everything turned out alright 🙂

Reactions: SammiDraco

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
You’re not alone in this at all lol, I’ve had some pretty vivid crazy dreams about my tanks shattering and other panic inducing fish related dreams. I had an odd one about the water turning to solid ice and my fish being frozen in motion like a picture. It’s been some time since I’ve had any dreams like that though thank goodness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh yeah, totally. I've had dreams where my fish die from jumping out or being eaten by my cats (I have lids, but those are crafty little creatures!). I also dream about transporting them and dropping the bag/cup that is holding them. But it is mostly dreaming of me going to their tank, not finding them inside and finding them dried out on the floor or just torn fins left behind by the cats 😰

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s been so interesting reading the dreams other betta owners have experienced !

I had had a stress dream where I was in the middle of doing a water change. When I was at the part of pouring the new conditioned water in, the tank was not getting any fuller. So over and over I was filling it up and over and over I’d get frustrated and try again, but the tank never had more than one inch of water in the end. Very vivid. Not a nightmare, but very stressful and annoying it seemed.

·
Registered
Sundance (Elephant Ear Betta), Johnny (Guinea pig), Kooky (Guinea pig)
93 Posts
I haven't had bad dreams yet but bad thoughts. For instance, our boy Sundance is on our laundry chute which is next to our bedroom door. We're having renovations done in our master bath and the day they took the huge jacuzzi tub out I stayed in the room to ensure they didn't hit his tank and break it. I kept having visions of them breaking the tank and stepping on him. Ugh.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You’re not alone in this at all lol, I’ve had some pretty vivid crazy dreams about my tanks shattering and other panic inducing fish related dreams. I had an odd one about the water turning to solid ice and my fish being frozen in motion like a picture. It’s been some time since I’ve had any dreams like that though thank goodness.
Lol that is an odd one... I guess I could be grateful at least mine are like normal catastrophies?

• Haha
Reactions: X skully X

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're not alone! I've had a few similar to that over the years.

When I first went from sponge filter to a hanging over the back filter with a past Betta, his name was Azerbaijan, I had a dream that I'd woken up and found him dead. Having been sucked into the filter.
It didn't exactly help that this kid could barely see and made my worries worse. Luckily, it never happened!

And when Moroz Rosett was being shipped to me (Came from New York to the deep south) I couldn't sleep that entire night. The sleep I did manage to grab I dreamed of him arriving to me DOA.
Worried about nothing though, he arrived in a state of fury that still hasn't let up LOL

So sorry you had to deal with that though, glad to hear everything turned out alright 🙂
Yep I've had one like that too. So sad. But I'm glad it all turned out well for you too! (y)

Reactions: Eridanus
1 - 13 of 13 Posts