Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready for bed, and I decided to check on the fish. They are kept in my brother's room, and he normally takes care of them. He told me he changed water last week, and fed them this morning, but he didn't notice anything, but he was also in a hurry. I noticed it first in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank that was filled with water but otherwise empty, where the fish that was in the tank in question lived up until about a month ago and where he was about a week ago during a water change (we accidentally neglected to dump the water out afterwards, oops). (Before that both of our male betas shared a divided 10 gallon when one jumped over and they fought.) On the top there were tons of little white dots on the top of the water. I dumped it, and the went to check on the other two fish. One of our two betta tanks looks completely normal, and as of now there was no white stuff. But the other one has a ton of white stuff on top?? I don't know what it is, but the fish is acting normally. The two tanks are next to each other, and if it is some kind of fungus or something I don't want it to spread. He is scheduled for a water change tomorrow, should I do a 100% change? Has anyone had this? I've searched the web and not found anything.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? unknown/warm
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon beta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No Change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No Change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 15 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, but he was in a fight and had his fins ripped up pretty bad about 3 months ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I wish I could help you out with what that is but im not entirely sure, maybe its some eggs from a insect or something?

I would suggest that if your tank has a heater then I would get a thermometer for the tank. Its good to now that the temp is always contstant for your betta. Fluctating temps can compromise their immune system.
And since it is a 10 gallon tank I would get a filter for it. that way the ammonia doesn't build up in the tank and it keep the water moving.
If you haven't already since this is from yesterday I would get all the white stuff dots out of the tank and do a water change. I wouldn't do a 100% because it seems like your fish isn't affected by this.

I wish I could help you out more on this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a water change and got most of them out, and I'll keep an extra good eye on it.
There is normally a thermometer in the tank, but it broke not too long ago and hasn't been replaced yet. As for the filter, he used to have one, but he hated it and wouldn't eat or anything due to the current, no matter what we did to baffle it, so he doesn't have a filter either.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That's a little odd that he wouldn't eat with the filter.
Was the filter in the 10 gallon or the QT tank?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was in the 10 gallon, back when both fish shared the decided 10 gallon tank. We tried all sorts of things, but he didn't tolerate it well for some reason. The other fish doesn't mind, so he has a filter.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Well thats odd. Is it like a white "plastic-like" skim on the surface? If it is I have had the same thing. For all I know is to keep up with the water changes and if it still appears try scooping it out with the net. My bettas have never got any illness from this. Anyone have any thoughts, because I would like to know myself if it's the same thing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.