Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I posted a couple of weeks ago about my female betta having camallanus. Thankfully, I was able to find someone who had levamisole and was willing to share a couple of doses with me. I did a 24-hour treatment and I haven't seen any worms sticking out of her since then. However, it's been over a week already since I did the treatment and I keep finding dead worms at the bottom instead of regular poo. I know they are dead because they are brown instead of red and they tend to come in bits and pieces, with the occasional longer worm. Also, they are a teensy tiny bit thicker.

Is this normal? How long does it take to see them poo regularly? Should I do another treatment, and if so, after how many days/weeks?

She has had absolutely no changes in behavior. She is active, curious, and always hungry. Her color has not dulled and she is not getting skinny. She is actually quite big and chunky. Not bloated or pineconing though.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Great that she was taking it well and is in good condition.

Depending on how high you dosed the levamisole it might be enough.

There‘s really no exact rule on dosage. I had been successful with just 1 round and have also needed a second round so far.

I would keep on vacuuming the bottom very thoroughly (also beneath any décor - but not all at the same time) and redose 4 weeks after the first dose in case you see any signs of worms.

Her poop might be very light or almost clear until her intestines are healthy again. Shouldn‘t last too much longer now.

I keep my fingers crossed that you caught all the critters with the first stroke!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great that she was taking it well and is in good condition.

Depending on how high you dosed the levamisole it might be enough.

There‘s really no exact rule on dosage. I had been successful with just 1 round and have also needed a second round so far.

I would keep on vacuuming the bottom very thoroughly (also beneath any décor - but not all at the same time) and redose 4 weeks after the first dose in case you see any signs of worms.

Her poop might be very light or almost clear until her intestines are healthy again. Shouldn‘t last too much longer now.

I keep my fingers crossed that you caught all the critters with the first stroke!
Thank you so much for the information! I will keep my eyes peeled and repeat the dose if I'm still seeing worms after 4 weeks. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, I still need help. I dosed my female again, this time at a slightly higher concentration. However, nothing happened.

I went ahead and did the treatment again since she was still expelling dead worms. No normal poop, just bits and pieces of dead worms for close to two weeks already. However, this time she did not even let out any dead worms, much less any live ones. Heck, there isn't even any indication of poop! She is still her perky old self (I think she has a grudge against me at this point though), swimming around and being a chunky baby. She has an appetite and is active. She pooped some dead worms yesterday before I put her in the hospital container and medicated her, but after that, nothing.

The only things I can notice being "wrong" with her are a slight tear in her tail fin, but that is probably due to all the stress from the meds. She did not have it before today and probably tore it while swimming frantically from me every time I took off the lid on her container. The other thing is that she is kind of chunky. She is my first ever betta female and I know they carry eggs so they tend to look chunkier than the males but the fact that she is only pooping worm cadavers kind of worries me. She is not lethargic and not lying at the bottom of the container I have her in. She is not buoyant or pineconey. It does not look like she ate a lot and may have a belly. She is just... big-boned, more-to-love, etc. 😅 If you guys need pictures I can totally get some tomorrow.

Most people I've spoken to tell me that one dose of levamisole should have done the trick, however, I only saw a handful of live worms when I did the first treatment. I am not sure if I should have seen more come out. Also, I was told that her poops would look normal after a couple of days after treatment, however, I've kept her in a bare bottom jar and I've been scooping out dead worms for two weeks already without any signs of normal poop.

The levamisole was a donation from a fellow fish-keeperin my city. He measured it himself so I am not sure what dose it was. Could it have been too weak? (It was supposed to be for 5 gallons and I put her in a 2.5 gal volume of water. I ended up using the entire dose after not seeing any results after close to an hour. She tolerated it well)

She is meant for my community 10-gallon with my ember tetras so I am very hesitant to add her into the tank until I am sure that she is free of camallanus. If anyone has dealt with these nasty parasites before can you tell me how long it took for your fish to go back to normal bowel movements? What did the treatment look like? (i.e did a lot of worms come out? how often did you have to scoop them out? I was checking in her every few minutes but I could not get a lot in 24 hrs) I am completely at a loss on what to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts