Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little bit of research on these two complexes and they're both wonderful. I'm considering one individual for my 6-gallon long tank. I know they require special water conditions and care but I think I could pull it off. Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty, though. Also, I would like to know if the complexity of caring for them is actually worth it to keep them. So, I'm excited to hear about your experiences with them and learn more about their care. Or... maybe I need someone to talk me out of it more than anything 馃槄.

Also, someday into the future IF I ever decide to breed bettas the coccina complex seems really fascinating. That is thinking far into the future, but I'd still like to hear about it if anyone on here has tried. It is just interesting to learn about.

Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
Betta Coccina and Betta Albimarginata are very diferent. I've been told by a lot of people that Betta Albimarginata complex is one of the easiest complexes to keep, but I've never tried them myself. Betta Coccina, on the other hand, are a bit harder to keep (that's what I've heard, at least). I currently keep Betta Coccina ''Jambi''. It's definitely worth keeping them, IMO. But I'd recommend a beginner to start with the Betta Albimarginata complex. I think @RicardoCorreia keeps Betta Albimarginata? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Registered
If you do decide to get wilds, you should do tons of research, and look for hobbyists like forums and fb groups to help you at the beginning and answer any questions you might have ;)

Reactions: Chummus

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Betta Coccina and Betta Albimarginata are very diferent. I've been told by a lot of people that Betta Albimarginata complex is one of the easiest complexes to keep, but I've never tried them myself. Betta Coccina, on the other hand, are a bit harder to keep (that's what I've heard, at least). I currently keep Betta Coccina ''Jambi''. It's definitely worth keeping them, IMO. But I'd recommend a beginner to start with the Betta Albimarginata complex. I think @RicardoCorreia keeps Betta Albimarginata? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, I've also heard that the albimarginata complex is the easier complex to keep and better suited for beginners. That's a nice advantage for them. That being said, I don't think the challenge of keeping a more difficult species is necessarily a bad thing, unless it's too steep.

Would you share some of your knowledge/experiences with your Betta coccina? It's definitely one complex I'd like to learn more about. Also, I would love to see some pictures of your coccina if you have any you'd like to share.

Registered
That being said, I don't think the challenge of keeping a more difficult species is necessarily a bad thing, unless it's too steep.
韦hat's true. But I believe that if you go with coccinas then you should ideally have experience with atleast a few other fish. I guess it'd be doable without any experience, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Would you share some of your knowledge/experiences with your Betta coccina?
I'm quite of a newby with wilds, but I've got a perfect place for you to learn more about coccinas- @LittleBettaFish 's blog
Red Wine Bettas - Blog (weebly.com) It's a great place to start learning! Also, you should read @thijswildbettas 's blog Wild Betta Blog | Everything about wild bettas
Also, I would love to see some pictures of your coccina if you have any you'd like to share.
First three is the female, last three is the male- they're still juvies

Attachments

Reactions: Chummus

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
韦hat's true. But I believe that if you go with coccinas then you should ideally have experience with atleast a few other fish. I guess it'd be doable without any experience, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm quite of a newby with wilds, but I've got a perfect place for you to learn more about coccinas- @LittleBettaFish 's blog
Red Wine Bettas - Blog (weebly.com) It's a great place to start learning! Also, you should read @thijswildbettas 's blog Wild Betta Blog | Everything about wild bettas

First three is the female, last three is the male- they're still juvies
Yeah, I think I'll wait on the coccinas until I have a little more experience. It's fun to learn about them in the meantime though. Thanks for the resources you linked. I've been reading them, they're very interesting!
Since wilds are not always available, I'm trying to learn what I can about a few species so I can take advantage of any opportunity that may open up. I'm really loving the world of wild bettas.
Also, it goes without saying, but your coccina bettas are very pretty. And thanks again for your advice.

Registered
Also, it goes without saying, but your coccina bettas are very pretty. And thanks again for your advice.
Thanks! Interestingly, it seems that the more tannins I add, the brighter their color gets. They're sooo cool!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Interestingly, it seems that the more tannins I add, the brighter their color gets. They're sooo cool!
Yes, I've noticed that too with my Betta mahachai! Even a bit on my previous domesticated betta. Really, that is what inspired me to make a dedicated blackwater setup, which is what brought me back to looking at wild bettas that would do well in such an environment. I don't know if the bettas are actually coloring up more or if it's just the contrast between their colors and the darker water, but it's such a beautiful effect.

Registered
Yes, I've noticed that too with my Betta mahachai!
螣hhhh you have mahachais!! Sooo exciting! Did you get them from noodle? I'd love to see a pic!
Really, that is what inspired me to make a dedicated blackwater setup, which is what brought me back to looking at wild bettas that would do well in such an environment.
螜'm sure you'll love it if you set it up, those tanks are amazing!
I don't know if the bettas are actually coloring up more or if it's just the contrast between their colors and the darker water, but it's such a beautiful effect.
In my coccinas it's definitely their color changing. When they're in clear water, the're almost see-through, but in blackwater, they get a bright red. And when they get scared they get a yellowish color and 3 black stripes. They're sooo cool!

Ughhh while typing this I saw my female coccina eating a cherry shrimp that I rescued a while ago. She had Ellobiopsidae... RIP little shrimpy:cry:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
螣hhhh you have mahachais!! Sooo exciting! Did you get them from noodle? I'd love to see a pic!
Well, I have an individual mahachai, and yes, I did get him from Noodle! He's an amazing fish, I'm very grateful to have him. I attempted to take some pictures while I was feeding him.

螜'm sure you'll love it if you set it up, those tanks are amazing!
I'm looking forward to it, right now I'm looking for materials like the wood and botanicals. I thought it would be fun and cost effective to try and find them myself from outdoors, but I have a hard time making sure it is aquarium safe.

In my coccinas it's definitely their color changing. When they're in clear water, the're almost see-through, but in blackwater, they get a bright red. And when they get scared they get a yellowish color and 3 black stripes. They're sooo cool!
The color changing in wilds in a very interesting behavior. I think it gives us some insight into how they're feeling at times. The color change in my mahachai between when I had just added him to the tank after bringing him home, and after about a day of him settling in was very significant. Also, sorry about your shrimp. I wish parasites were not a factor in the hobby.

Attachments

Registered
Hello there.

Sorry on the late reply. Been a little busy. Thanks for mention me.

First off, both complex have beautifull fishes. Ones mouthbrooders and the others bubblenesters. I myself have at the moment Albimarginata Sebuku and Albimarginata Malinau breeding. Its very easy. Always with their mouth full. Specially Malinau. Also have a female Albimarginata Tarakan (way smaller than the other two species). Waiting on a male. And want to get Channoides too. Maybe this spring. Its very cold now here in my country.
I also have coccina complex fish: Hendra, Api Api and Miniopinna. I don't say its hard. It's different!!!! On the Hendra, they like more off a relaxed place. Not so much interaction. But been able to breed them.

They need time. Patience. I use really stained water. All fish in blackwater. A lot of hideouts (that's way, sometimes, I only know I have fish when I see 2cm fish swimming around.

Although I started with bullenesters, I really recomend for beginners mouthbrooders. Feeding one fry is really diferent from the other.

Wich one you chose, I wish you the best.

Best regards,

Ricardo Correia

Registered
I'm looking forward to it, right now I'm looking for materials like the wood and botanicals. I thought it would be fun and cost effective to try and find them myself from outdoors, but I have a hard time making sure it is aquarium safe.
螜 collect wood and botanicals myself. Never had an issue with them.
The color changing in wilds in a very interesting behavior. I think it gives us some insight into how they're feeling at times. The color change in my mahachai between when I had just added him to the tank after bringing him home, and after about a day of him settling in was very significant.
Yeah that's so true! It's something I love about wilds.
Also, sorry about your shrimp. I wish parasites were not a factor in the hobby.
Thanks...

Registered
螜 collect wood and botanicals myself. Never had an issue with them.
I think I said it before. I collect mines too. Since we have some small pieces of land, out of pollution sources, it's easy for me to get tanins. I have access to: vine wood (use well rested one - from one or two years ago) , oak wood, cork wood and other fruit trees. But I don't boil them.. Same for leaves...

Stay cool,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts