Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am in the middle of a fish-in cycle for my 15 gal column. I just bought a new test kit (I was using strips and they just weren't accurate enough)-- The API ammonia kit. When I get enough money I'll be buying the master test kit, but it's 30 dollars at my local Petsmart and I just cant justify. The Nitrate/Nitrite test strips are to my liking right now so I am okay with keeping them for a while. ANYWAY I DIGRESS.

When I took my first test, my water tested at 0.25 ammonia, which is bad. I did an immediate 15% water change. Then I tested again. Still 0.25. Hmm. So I figured I should do a control test of sorts, and I tested my tap water. This also tested at 0.25.

What is going on here? Is there ammonia in my tap water or something? Is my test kit broken? Do I have some kind of special color blindness that renders me incapable of discerning yellow from a greenish yellow?

Help!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It is possible that your tap water has ammonia in it, I know mine does at college (Pittsburg) could you post a pic of the test and color guide?

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you are ready, buy the API test kit from Ken's Fish. It is $20.99. Don't know where you live, for it to be shipped to me the lowest shipping price is $5.80. When you go to their website you will see a coupon for 5% off. And if you know other fish folks nearby, maybe you can do a combined order and get free shipping for an order of $75.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Make sure you are reading the test tube against white right next to the color chart . And do it in the brightest white light room you have ., for my house I can only get accurate readings in my kids bathroom.. All the lighting in the rest of my place is to warm toned

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you are reading the test tube against white right next to the color chart . And do it in the brightest white light room you have ., for my house I can only get accurate readings in my kids bathroom.. All the lighting in the rest of my place is to warm toned

Sent from Petguide.com App
Hmm... I will try checking in another room. I did hold it up to the chart.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If there is ammonia in the tap, how do I bring down ammonia levels?
I think it's hicari that makes "ammonia safe" (comes in a tiny fish shaped bottle, one drop per gallon)

Tetra ammonia safe API ammonia lock, or hikari betta ultimate

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Most of us use Prime water conditioner by Seachem to detoxify ammonia. Your API test kit will read the same, but the ammonia will be safely locked away in the Prime.

Calibrate your test kit with a bottle of distilled or RO (Reverse Osmosis) water for >$1. If it says "oxonated" it's RO water. (Don't use this water in our tank except in special circumstances.)

Of several API test kits I've owned, a couple have read slightly green with 0.0ppm ammonia.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I have the exact same problem! I've never had an issue with ammonia, and after ordering a new test kit (I've always used API before and had no problems), I kept getting a very odd "not 0 but not quite .25" reading. So I tested my tap (well water) - same thing. Since I've never had ammonia in my tap, I was quite shocked and tested some water from my RO unit. It also had the same color. Since I HIGHLY doubt that I have ammonia in my RO water, I think it's just the test kit. Perhaps the same is happening to you??

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I don't like a lot of those ammonia blockers . Only one I do trust is hydor zeolite filter media if you're having such an issue .
I'd like to agree with you in principle. But doesn't Zeolite remove ammonia rather than just binding it?

Bound ammonia can still be oxidized by nitrifying bacteria to maintain healthy colonies. Bound ammonia can be used by plants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts