Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me with this debate I offer have for myself? I often see AQ salt and Epsom suggested for illnesses almost interchangeably. Like for treating bloat for example I see some people say use Epsom others AQ salt. So can someone help me with what's the differences or what you prefer?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ooooh no no no! AQ salt is definitely not for bloat lol. Okay here's the difference:

AQ salt balances out electrolytes and invigorates the slime coat which makes them overproduce their coat and eventually shed it which is good for external parasites like Ich and sometimes early Velvet. However, AQ salt like most salts actually makes the fish retain fluids including water, which can make a fish become bloated if used too long or too much/too often. AQ salt can be rather harsh on their systems as well if they're already compromised and this makes their liver's/kidney's work ten times more which can sometimes lead to organ failure.

Epsom salt is a natural laxative and is often used on horses and our feet to soothe swelling and heat. In fish it's good for flushing out their system if they have internal parasites or constipation, both which can lead to a bloated fish.

So in a general way of saying; AQ salt for external stuff and ES for internal stuff.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok good to know! Thanks for your imput!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yup! Np ^_^

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
Salt (Sodium chloride) NaCl, When dissolved in water, the sodium chloride framework disintegrates as the Na+ and Cl− ions become surrounded by the polar water molecules. Cl- ions cross the gill membrane rise the Potential osmotic pressure on the fish
Many micro organisms cannot live in an overly salty environment: water is drawn out of their cells by osmosis.

Epsom salt(Magnesium sulfate)MgSO4 Almost all known mineralogical forms of MgSO4 occur as hydrates MgSO4·7H2O The anhydrous form is strongly hygroscopic, and can be used as a desiccant. water is drawn out cells by osmosis just like NaCl but Magnesium sulfate rise KH and binds with calcium carbonate

R

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks R!

·
Banned
48 Posts
Salt (Sodium chloride) NaCl, When dissolved in water, the sodium chloride framework disintegrates as the Na+ and Cl− ions become surrounded by the polar water molecules. Cl- ions cross the gill membrane rise the Potential osmotic pressure on the fish
Many micro organisms cannot live in an overly salty environment: water is drawn out of their cells by osmosis.

Epsom salt(Magnesium sulfate)MgSO4 Almost all known mineralogical forms of MgSO4 occur as hydrates MgSO4·7H2O The anhydrous form is strongly hygroscopic, and can be used as a desiccant. water is drawn out cells by osmosis just like NaCl but Magnesium sulfate rise KH and binds with calcium carbonate

R
I love it when Rickey talks chem.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'll also say this I'm a Water Purist ever if I'm a chemist by trade I don't believe in adding many thing to my water. Because my fish rooms are on well water I don't even use water conditioner.

R
I also agree, however I do have to use conditioner because I have other things in my tap water unfortunately :-/ too close to the city.

But so many people don't realize that 75% of the time, all a fish needs is good clean, warm water. Not all these fancy medications and especially not salts. I used to advocate for salts but I try to stay away as much as I can and not recommend it after seeing fish die of organ failure after salt usages. It's purely situational but at the same time, I don't feel like risking my fish when all they need is clean water.

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
I also agree, however I do have to use conditioner because I have other things in my tap water unfortunately :-/ too close to the city.
I would say that 95% of the time there is no need to modify your basic tap water chemistry. Yes you have to use a dechlorinator that removes chlorine or chloramine from water but that's it.

R

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
A cycled tank will remove the ammonia that's generated from chloramine breakdown. Live plants will do it even faster. Prime will do it even faster, which is why we recommend it around here.

But, how much ammonia is released when chloramine is split into chlorine and ammonia?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Loving all this information!

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
My well has been tested as having heavy metals. (I'd have to find the test results to tell you which ones). I use 1-drop/gal Prime to chelate the metal, although I'd rather not.

Rick, your's is the kind of great info I'd like to see on that advanced thread we're talking about. Not hidden here off-topic on a basic thread about salt..

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
Rick, your's is the kind of great info I'd like to see on that advanced thread we're talking about. Not hidden here off-topic on a basic thread about salt..
I would like to see an advanced water chemistry thread started somewhere but most people rarely care, most think the answer is always in a bottle.

R

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would love to see that. It'd be an interesting read for sure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts