Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a couple of 2.5 gallon aquariums from Pet Supplies Plus that were labeled as Aqueon's brand, but they didn't come with lids to accommodate for fish that can jump. I'm now searching for something to place over the aquariums that will allow room for the wiring of my equipment and also be safe in regards to lighting. If anything comes to mind, please feel free to leave your ideas or suggestions here.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Your best bet would be to get a piece of plexiglas and DYI. Hardware stores will cut glass for you but most of the stuff they stock isn't thick enough.

I use a Aqueon 2.5 for my hospital tank and bought a versa-top for it. Perfect, right? The thing is it's only one piece and doesn't allow room for wires, tubing etc. So I figure I'll just take it to a hardware store and they can cut an angle in one corner to accommodate the wires/tubing. Wrong, It's tempered so that's off the table.

Some people recommend craft mesh, I don't. It won't keep the humidity in and allows temperature fluctuations.

Saran wrap with holes poked in it is a better option for a quick fix but you might have issues with lighting unless you use LEDs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You could try a piece of Plexiglas that fits edge to edge of the tank or a piece of glass that you can cut to fit your tubing and cords and filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your best bet would be to get a piece of plexiglass and DIY. Hardware stores will cut glass for you but most of the stuff they stock isn't thick enough.
If I were to look at the glass, how thick would it need to be? I could get some plexiglass and DIY with the help of my dad. He's so much better at these projects than I am.

·
Banned
580 Posts
the reason I dont like plexi on the top of tanks is the heat of the lights if too close will warp them.......go look in the repitil section as well for glass lids or like the others said get a piece of tempered glass hav the hardware store cut it in half and just get a bendable piece to hold the two together

I have a nice lid to keep the snails in using gutter protectors I got at walmart yes it has holes in it but with a 25 watt heater and theomarter i usually dont see much temp changes --

1 - 6 of 6 Posts