Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just took in a betta fish from a friend who could no longer care for him. I noticed he has mild fin rot and am trying to treat it with aquarium salt and water changes. I read that almond leaves are also good for betta fish but am wondering if they are safe to use together? Thank you!
- Tanuj :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I just took in a betta fish from a friend who could no longer care for him. I noticed he has mild fin rot and am trying to treat it with aquarium salt and water changes. I read that almond leaves are also good for betta fish but am wondering if they are safe to use together? Thank you!
- Tanuj :)
Here are some pictures

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,363 Posts
Looks a great deal like biting. Do 50% water changes twice a week and use either IAL or Rooibos Tea. Both have mild antibacterial properties. SeaChem StressGuard has antiseptic properties if you can get it. Dose daily as it dissipates every 24 hours.

And....Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks a great deal like biting. Do 50% water changes twice a week and use either IAL or Rooibos Tea. Both have mild antibacterial properties. SeaChem StressGuard has antiseptic properties if you can get it. Dose daily as it dissipates every 24 hours.

And....Welcome to the Forum!
Do you know why he may have been biting? I have only had him for a day and he was given to me like this. I just got my hands on IAL so I will use that and try to get StressGuard.

& Thankyou! I am planning on expanding my betta collection but I just took this guy in because owner couldn't care for him. Hoping he recovers! Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
18,363 Posts
You are more than welcome.

Can you post a photo of the entire aquarium? I ask because there really is no known reason established for why Betta bite their fins. However, from the reports on this Forum, two common links are tank too bright and not enough planting. By "bright" I do not mean lights are left on too long.

Another theory is those with excessive finnage "trim" their fins because they are too heavy and it makes it difficult to swim.

But, in all honesty, we just do not know. :-(

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are more than welcome.

Can you post a photo of the entire aquarium? I ask because there really is no known reason established for why Betta bite their fins. However, from the reports on this Forum, two common links are tank too bright and not enough planting. By "bright" I do not mean lights are left on too long.

Another theory is those with excessive finnage "trim" their fins because they are too heavy and it makes it difficult to swim.

But, in all honesty, we just do not know. :-(

Not too mention that different fish may bite for different reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I can understand the potential trimming reasoning 😕 This is his set up right now. I added the IAL and that coconut hide. This is a 3.5 gallons but I'm not a big fan of the circle shape but this was given to me. I plan on improving to 5gallon with more plants in a few weeks once he is doing better.

Thanks for all the response!

·
Super Moderator
18,363 Posts
Oops forgot to attach picture in last reply!
Ask me how many times I've done that. 0:)

A few more plants and you should be good to go. I like to use floating plants in tanks. Two of the ones I can grow best are Hornwort and Narrow Leaf Anacharis. Hornwort does not grow roots so should not be planted.

If you do not want to go with live, www.drsfostersmith.com has some nice silk packages. Some silk are so realistic it is hrd to tell they are not live.

Of course, there is always the chance no matter what you do they will still bite.

Keep us posted on how he (and you) are doing. He is quite lovely even with the missing bits of fin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts