Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

just thought i would create a thread to get people aware about the dangers of natural disasters and fish tanks. I personally keep a plastic 1-2 gallon bowl in my cabinet just in case their is a severe earthquake or disaster in which i need to leave or evacuate the house. Of course though, if the earthquake is severe enough where i cannot reach the bowl or water because of debri, that would be a problem.

Here are some discussions about this topic:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uarium-in-an-earthquake-prone-area-70693.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/protect-your-aquarium-from-earthquake-144278.html

I would appreciate any comments (positive please) or any other websites or suggestions!

Thanks so for viewing and posting!

By the way, can any of you guys possible help me with my other thread?

here it is http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102758

If i can upload these pictures, you will be able to see my tank!

Thanks and happy Memorial Day!!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this dosent apply to just earthquakes, i would like it if you guys could suggest any other things we could do for other natural disasters

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I keep a plastic 2.5 gallon for all my fish to share temporarily, excpet pog, he would get a bowl or something. I also keep a battery powered bubbler

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a five gallon acrylic bowfront tank under my bed. It doesn't have a hood, so I would probably on fill two gallons or so since you have to be moving with it.

Next to my goldfish tank, I have a small plastic container. Inside I have TetraBetta, a small ziploc bag of gravel, guessing 2lbs or so, about four feet of airline tubing, dechlorinator, active carbon, a fake plant, a sponge filter, and also a battery powered air pump another user mentioned above.

Air pump: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-11134-M...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1338343947&sr=1-1

Edit: Also have a 150W heater in the box.

Earthquakes usually aren't a concern in Pennsylvania. I'm 13, and I've only been in one in my life. Weird enough, last summer, a hurricane, earthquake, and tornado all occurred within two weeks... we did have power outages for a bit though.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, you are really prepared Cargo! I am starting to think i should be more prepared also.....that is a lot of drama in a short time Cargo, haha lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is a great thread. I need to start being prepared for power outages - I live in Cape Cod, MA, so we're on the ocean and we stick out. Hurricanes usually slam us. We apparently get tornadoes in MA as well now |D

I'm think I'll grab a 2.5 or 3 gallon off of Craigslist and put in permanent dividers with a space for each fish. That way, they won't be thrown in together in such a small area and kill each other D: - this would be for any sort of disaster that requires evacuation.

Do they make battery powered heaters?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a great thread. I need to start being prepared for power outages - I live in Cape Cod, MA, so we're on the ocean and we stick out. Hurricanes usually slam us. We apparently get tornadoes in MA as well now |D

I'm think I'll grab a 2.5 or 3 gallon off of Craigslist and put in permanent dividers with a space for each fish. That way, they won't be thrown in together in such a small area and kill each other D: - this would be for any sort of disaster that requires evacuation.

Do they make battery powered heaters?
Thanks for saying this is a great thread! I just had an idea and thought i would share it. That sounds ok temporarily. I don't know about better powered heaters, but Pog was talking about a battery powered bubbler, so maybe they make them. Maybe i will google it and see what comes up

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hm...I hadn't thought of this, but it is a great reminder for those of us who live in earthquake country.
If they don't have battery-powered heaters, getting some of those shipping heat packs might be a workable alternative.
:::trots off to get baggies and jugs of water:::

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hm...I hadn't thought of this, but it is a great reminder for those of us who live in earthquake country.
If they don't have battery-powered heaters, getting some of those shipping heat packs might be a workable alternative.
:::trots off to get baggies and jugs of water:::
Haha, yeah that sounds like a pretty good alternative. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts