Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been away awhile & would like to update the progress on my newest passion/hobby. First the sad news = I lost my second betta "Blue" :sob: to a terrible accident. I'm now not sure I'll ever try to get another betta again. I came home from work and his beautiful fins were stuck in the intake part of my Aqueon Quiet Flow pump. I have NO idea how long he'd been that way, but I immediately freed him. He was in terrible distress w/blood streaked fins & I lost him 2 days later. I will likely NEVER have another HOB filter. My 3 cory catfish adults that were prolific breeders have been re-homed to an Aquatic store employee that was ecstatic to get them. Their multitude of eggs have hatched & I now have approx 18-22 baby cc in the same 10 gallon tank their parents had been in. They are still very small but when they are large enough they too will be re-homed even though I've become very fond of them. I retrieved the 5 gallon Fluval Spec V from my barn, sanitized it & am recycling it presently . I'd like to transfer some of the cc fry over to it for their "gowing out" phase. If it stays clean without worms or pest snails I'd like to possibly try one or two more bettas BUT this time I'll get FEMALES. My other 10 gallon aquarium has been re-vamped with a corner, gentler filter. I got 2 new Mystery snails which I was unaware were opposite sexes & now they've gotten busy. I am incubating 3 egg clutches because I WOULD really like baby snails (just a few), but they are NOT looking promising. One clutch is 7 days old the other 2 are 5 & 3 days old. From everything I've read they don't seem fertilized & probably won't be viable.
Suggestions I would like from all of you are: How many cc could I comfortably keep in one of the 10 g aquariums with 1- 2 FEMALE bettas? Or should I just keep the cc w/just the snails and no other fish? At the next $1:00 per gallon Petco sale I might try to get a 20 gallon tank to replace one of the 10 gallon ones (the oldest one is scratched anyway) & keep a few of the cc and a few snails in it. How many would not overstock a 20 g tank? I'll keep the newest 10 g on hold as a quarantine or grow out tank if anything has more babies. Should I just start trying a different/easier fish in these tanks and forget the betta idea? I truly LOVE the bettas, the cc & the Mystery snails. NEVER thought I'd like the cc, but they are so darn cute & great at cleaning up. I just don't want anymore offspring:surprise:
Thanks in advance for your help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts