Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Aqueon Evolve (2-gallon) cube for my new betta. I would love to hear your experience and opinions with this set-up. Questions:

1. The lights it comes with, are they suitable for growing live plants? I have a planted tank in mind.

2. Is the filter an OK strength for a betta? If not, can I modify it to weaken the flow?

3. Can I hide a heater in the "backstage" filter area?

4. Is maintenance ok, water changes and the likes?

5. Can I cycle it or is it too small?

Thank you so much! You don't have to answer all my questions or any at all. Just looking for input. I'd love to see pictures, too! :-D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a Fluval spec and I've seen the aqueon sand looks wise, the Fluval wins. Their are minor flaw with the spec, but their is a thread on here that is all about them and all the minor problems are fixed. I've never been a fan of cartridges, so right there it's a big nah for me.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
1. The lights it comes with, are they suitable for growing live plants? I have a planted tank in mind.
I have a 2, keep in mind it's more like 1 1/2 because of the filter area being included in the size of the tank. Mine has a crypt, java fern and anacharis in it. The light won't support anything but low light plants but the plants I have are really happy and so is the female betta in there, we got her as a tiny baby.

2. Is the filter an OK strength for a betta? If not, can I modify it to weaken the flow?
It's a little strong for a betta, I covered it with a piece of sponge cut from a sponge filter replacement sponge.
yes

yes, very easy to do. I just pour the water in the filter area in the back and it trickles into the tank, doesn't upset the substrate or plants this way.

Mine is cycled.

I will say our filter pump was nosy and we couldn't get it to stop making noise. I sent an email to Aqueon customer service and after trying everything they said and it didn't work. They sent me a completely new pump - free of charge to replace it, no questions asked. Awesome customer service, just really awesome.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much!!

I'd love to hear others' inputs before I drop $40 on this. It's a big purchase for me :oops:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm looking at the Aqueon Evolve (2-gallon) cube for my new betta. I would love to hear your experience and opinions with this set-up. Questions:

I don't think so, just because it looks bright does not mean it will be good for plants, the keyword is 6500K LED for any lights. If you only have LED, it will be more for you to see the tank. I think the Fluval SPEC is 6500K across the board. SPEC II is on clearance at Petsmart for around $30.

Fluval has 3 stage filter across the board. You can actually replace the carbon filter slot with more BioMax so your tank will have more BB build up. The Aqueon is a simpler filter without foam block which means fewer area to have BB.

Actually the SPEC III has a much slower flow than the SPEC V. I turned the motor to the lowest. My betta was fine.
You can muffle the flow with a pre-filter sponge, but then you will decrease the water flow to get air into the water column.

Yes for Fluval SPEC series, I suggest a Hydor adjustable. It will fit up to an Aqueon 50W in that slot where the powerhead pump is.

You have to do WC regardless of tank. BUT Aqueon is acrylic so you will need to be careful not to scratch it.

If you have another bigger tank that is cycled you can transfer the filter media, substrate, plants and water to speed up the cycle and add AP Quick Start. I cycled my SPEC III by storing the media in the SPEC V for a couple of weeks.

Thank you so much! You don't have to answer all my questions or any at all. Just looking for input. I'd love to see pictures, too! :-D
SPEC V:

SPEC III:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts