Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am long winded, so I apologize in advance for that.

I recently got an Aqueon Minibow 2.5 gallon tank and my betta and I are really loving it despite the strong current (gonna baffle it soon even though my betta doesn't seem to mind it).

The problem is that after initially setting it up, the filter cartridge that came with it only lasted about two days before the bypass started pouring out water which really worried me because of it's own downward current that forces my betta to the bottom if he tries to swim through.

Turns out he actually likes riding it (he is the most fearless betta I've ever had), but I went ahead and changed the cartridge, I just figured I shouldn't assume the cartridge that came with the tank was gonna be perfect. However the new one I put in worked for a total of two hours before it started doing the same thing.

I've been reading around on here and haven't really found anything to help, but I'm thinking that maybe slowing the intake with a sponge might help. Because it doesn't seem like it's actually clogged, the normal output is as strong as it's supposed to be but the bypass is still pouring, so maybe the intake is too strong?

I am also considering the pretreated water I use might be the culprit, but my betta really loves it and as awful as the tap water is here, it would be better to get a new filter altogether.

I want to know what you guys think because I've never had this kind of filter before and maybe I'm missing something obvious.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I don't put the cartridges that come with the mini bows in the filter. I just use plain filter sponge. Haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, sorry it took so long to get back to ya'll, I'm gonna head out to the store today after class and try getting some filter sponges first because I would rather not have to order anything.

I live in a dorm and the delivery people are not kind to our packages, I've had boxes my parents sent me end up practically open from being smashed and mishandled so much, they would probably break a new filter.

Anyway, if the sponges don't work then I'll see if our pet store has anything similar to the elite sponge filter and try that. Hopefully it'll work.

My betta probably thinks I'm crazy, he's swimming around all happy with everything and making bubble nests while I keep messing with his filter and worrying about him. :p

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Some use filters some dont i for one dont for me too the current was too strong for my betta and could not swim down i took it off he has been fine with out filter i do regular water changes

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally prefer filters especially since I go home some weekends (like once a month and I'm really only completely gone for a day) and Thanksgiving break is coming up so I want everything to be ready for him to spend four days alone.

Anyway, I got some filter sponges, I put one in to replace the filter pad (it claims to remove ammonia) and squished a smaller one (it's pretty much just for catching debris) into the output opening to slow the current down, it seems to be working well (no overflow or anything and it's definitely running).

I'll be checking ammonia levels and such, as well watching Prince to see if he's comfortable, very closely for the next week before I go, just in case. He seems like he's liking the gentler current, I've noticed him being able to relax in one place without having to wedge himself between things now.

Thanks for the help you guys, I'll let you know if I have any more trouble ^-^

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I personally prefer filters especially since I go home some weekends (like once a month and I'm really only completely gone for a day) and Thanksgiving break is coming up so I want everything to be ready for him to spend four days alone.

Anyway, I got some filter sponges, I put one in to replace the filter pad (it claims to remove ammonia) and squished a smaller one (it's pretty much just for catching debris) into the output opening to slow the current down, it seems to be working well (no overflow or anything and it's definitely running).

I'll be checking ammonia levels and such, as well watching Prince to see if he's comfortable, very closely for the next week before I go, just in case. He seems like he's liking the gentler current, I've noticed him being able to relax in one place without having to wedge himself between things now.

Thanks for the help you guys, I'll let you know if I have any more trouble ^-^
Agreed, I like filters for this same reason. My mom has a few health problems so often I am away from my apartment for 3-5 days at a time. Without a filter, the water quality would get into the dangerous levels. However, with a filter I can feel better about leaving them knowing that there will not be ammonia in the tank. I like feeling confident that I can leave for at least 7 days and not have a dead fish from ammonia poisoning when i get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.