Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Prince Kaida's tank on all the oldest decorations and in the filter, there is this brown build-up stuff. I've thoroughly cleaned everything that had this stuff on it, but it always 'grows' back within a week. It's not really unsightly and there's not too much of it, I'm just curious. The same brown stuff is in the old filter cart whenever I change them, and it has also started inhabiting the filter media sponge I have baffling the filter output. Nothing bad has happened since it started appearing. Is this good bacteria just colonizing everywhere it can or should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That is diatoms, they are microscopic individually, but they are in a colony. the bacteria can be seen in a cloud if you rub ur filter cartridge and put it back n, and the bacteria comes out in a cloud into your tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: Is it bad?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nah, as long as it doesnt annoy you. It should go away in a few month on its own, if it annoys you, just scrub it off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The brown stuff in the filter is a biofilm, a mess of bacteria and organic matter that the bacteria is decomposing. You don't really have to clean the filter unless the flow is being clogged up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Diatoms are organic matter are they not?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since there was no explanation on what diatoms were I guess they are organic matter. They are little critters it looks like from wiki. The wiki on them confuses me but from what I gathered diatoms mean good water quality?

Maybe someone knows better what they are.... I just know the fossilized bodies of them make diatomaceous earth. (Wonderful stuff.)

The thread got my attention because my one filter foam is covered in the brown stuff too.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Diatoms are little one celled Protists that mostly use photosynthesis, but most can start consuming matter with little light. They are part of a biofilm, but really biofilm is just layers and layers of bacteria/protists. Like algae is layers and layers of mostly single celled algae. It's basically a huge community of bacteria, the water running over it let's it trap tons of different things, each bacteria eats what it's food source is.
You can remove it but it's pretty good at replenishing itself with lots of food.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts