Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard plakets are the most aggressive bettas and that they should not be housed with other fish, but I know that not all plackets are aggressive but I’ve heard that the majority are!

My male plaket Is the most aggressive betta I’ve ever owned, and would kill other fish, but I have not had enough plackets to know if they are more aggressive.

I bought 3 more girls for my sorority and one was a plaket and I had to separate her, the others that are not plaket get along perfect now!

does anyone more knowledgeable than me, maybe a breeder know about this

·
Registered
349 Posts
I‘m not a breeder.

And I think there‘s really not much to support a generalization.

If nowadays Plakats/Show Plakats have been bred from ”Fighting Betta“ than some traits should be obvious throughout many generations.

But Betta generations are short and inbreeding for specific color/finnage/pattern is done intensely (and according to what the market wants). So the ultimate fighting traits will disappear quite quickly. My theory.

Sometimes a short finned Betta may look more aggressive because his movement is faster. Or for any reason you have a fish that doesn‘t go well in a community/sorority.

I also didn‘t have enough Bettas of all fin types to say anything reliable. Most likely it will be impossible to find out what exactly makes this or that fish more aggressive towards its own species.
A bit more reliable will indeed be findings of long term breeders.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
With my plakat spawn there is a diverse range of personalities. Some are definitely more aggressive than others. Some of them do quite well with other fish, shrimp or snails and some do not. Something that I’ve noticed with my females, the most aggressive ones in the sorority are often the most stressed and fearful. They just don’t do well with other females. It can really be a variety of reasons why females don’t get along. The more plants and room for individual space the safer females will feel.
even in a tank full of siblings that have been raised together there will be fighting and disputes. Females introduced to other females as adults will be much more stressed. Something you can try is housing new females right next to the others in a separate tank. After seeing eachother every single day they seem to get used to eachother in a safer setting. It might not work at all, but it’s a step towards seeing their individual personality and you can decide how you’d like to go from there. Plus I’m a huge advocate of quarantining new fish before putting them in an established tank community. Observing new fish is the best was to see if they got sick from stress or picked up a parasite before you brought them home.
I agree with what Feanor said above as well. Hopefully you can figure out how to make all your females settled and happy. 💜 keeping animals always brings about unique situations for sure.

·
Super Moderator
22,055 Posts
Betta are individuals and so are their territorial instincts. People often misinterpret this instinct as aggressive behavior. This territorial aggression is why sororities with too many females in too-small tanks fail.

x skully x makes a great point. The Alpha and Omega in any group are often the least aggressive because they both know their place in the hierarchy. It's those in between who must constantly prove themselves. This is especially true of the Beta in the group. As the heir apparent to the Alpha in power it is extremely stressful to be continually defending itself against all potential usurpers..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts