Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping to get a new betta soon and I'd like to know if I can put a spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) in there or is that not safe? I've never had a planted tank before and I don't have a green thumb but I've never killed a spider plant so... Would that be ok?
If not what plants would you reccomend?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Well not fully submersed but you could put just the roots in the water.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not fully submersed but you could put just the roots in the water.
When I was trying to look it up I kept finding websites saying yes and others saying no, so my mom said "well peace Lillie's are safe" and I swear every website said no so yeah..

So what plants are safe/reccomended for my 2gal tank? (I don't want anything big)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Peace Lilies are safe just not fully submersed. What are you looking for? Aquatic plants or plants that can tolerate wet roots but not fully submerged?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking something like ludwiga or a water lily, just something not huge not small with some color

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my last fish in with a marimo but he really didn't like it

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Do you have the proper lighting for growing plants? Ludwigia is more of a high demanding plant over other plants like Water wisteria or Anacharis.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have sunlight. That's all. I do have a pond/plant store nearby but I don't want to go in clueless and just have things die

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And what about
Water lily
Rotala
Lotus

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, you aren't going to get many plants at all to grow without proper lighting. Sunlight is also bad for your tank, it will cause temperature fluctuations and algae given time.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Lotus won't grow indoors or at least not well at all. Rotala needs high lighting and lilies may grow but all the same, you need proper lights.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
=/ shows how much I know about plants. How long do you think it would take for a single water wisteria to cycle?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
To cycle? Do you mean to grow?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't they need to stay in the tank for a while before you put the fish in?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
No? You just plant them and the fish can be in the tank before the fish goes in...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh. I thought you needed to leave the plant in for a while or else it'd somehow poison the fish. Maybe I'm crazy. THANK YOU SO MUCH by the way. I wanted to figure out and buy plants within a week so thank you

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ah yeah nope lol, not sure where you got that info but that's pretty much wrong. You will need lights to grow any plants though, real lights not sunlight.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok =( would a normal tank light be enough for the anacharis/water wisteria?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes but you need to have the right lights. If you get a regular hood it will have a screw in bulb and it would be good if you can get a Daylight Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) to screw in it then that will be definitely good enough for water wisteria, anacharis, java fern, anubias, java moss, common cryptocorynes, water sprite and most floating plants like duckweed (do not advise unless you never want to get it out of your tank lol, it IS a weed), and Frog-Bit.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have one with a little 12w screw in light. And do I need a special substrate or will plain sand work?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts