Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tanks (the 29 and the 10) are now both frustrating me. Barely measurable ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates, nada. I have sponge filters in both, a HOB filter in the 29 and a canister filter in the 10. However, the canister filter has a pretty strong outflow even buffered, and Loki, (who is now out of quarantine YAY!) seems to HATE it. Apollo in the big tank, is in the section with the HOB filter and though it is buffered to heck and back, he has started tail chomping and I think it is because of the filter. He'll wait until his tail is long, and then start chomping. Is it ok to run just sponge filters in these two?
I've so far got one of these in each tank..http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioc...&qid=1399343714&sr=8-1&keywords=sponge+filter
I also have another one on order to also go into the 29 gallon tank, as I was hoping it would cycle and I could have the two big sponge filters in it and no HOB filter.
Is it fine to go to just sponge filters even though these tanks refuse to cycle?
And if so, should I wait until the other sponge filter comes in for the big tank before I pull the HOB filter?
Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sponge filters are great for biological filtration, will do some mechanical (grabbing floating stuff in the water) and no chemical. If you do not have a planted tank, a sponge filter alone will be fine in those tanks, but you're right that you will need more for your 29g. I know someone who keeps shrimp who had 4 of those in a 20g! (You can't have too much filtration for water condition!)

How long have you had both tanks running? Do they both only have a betta in them? Are you doing a fish-in cycle? What is the temp of both tanks?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Do you have plants? What's your pH again? You have 2 bettas in the 29 and one in the 10?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have three bettas in the 29 gallon. And 3 snails. Loki is finally out of quarantine so there are 2 bettas in the 10 gallon now. I have some jungle vals (little ones), some amazon frogbit, some red root floaters, and some java ferns in each. the 10 gallon has been up over a month, was toodling right along to cycling, showed some early nitrites, and then my ph dropped and the cycle died. My tanks sit at 80F pretty constantly, and my pH in the 10 gallon is slowly rising to 6.6. It dropped under 6.0 which is why I think it totally stalled on me (apparently rooibos tea CAN drop pH). The 29 gallon usually hangs out around 6.6-6.8 with occasional slides into 7. The 29 gallon tank has been up right around 7 weeks, and showed some ammonia for a bit, but has NEVER shown any nitrites or nitrates. And then it just stopped showing any amount of ammonia. I've added calcium for the snails, and rooibos tea for the bettas, but other than that and Prime, it's just water now. Worst comes to worst, I can always switch Apollo out of that section and put Ares or Osiris in there. And Loki and Lir can be switched as Lir doesn't seem to mind currents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts