Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my form:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20 divided
Does it have a filter? Yes 4 sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yes 2 50w heaters
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? It’s a divided tank so there’s a female betta and a snail in the other sections.

Food:
What food brand do you use? New life spectrum
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No but i often feed frozen and live
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, 3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Daily, I am doing a fish-in cycle (almost done)
What percentage of water did you change? 25-50% depending on water parameters. I am following the two-sentence cycling tutorial guideline from this forum.
What is the source of your water? Distilled water remineralized with Seachem Equilibrium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Just dip out water
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime, API Quick Start, Seachem Amguard, Fritz Darkwater, Seachem Stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His head has gotten more white (he’s a Stars and Stripes) and then now appears to have scabs on it
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn’t
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, he had swim bladder when I purchased him
How long have you owned your Betta? About a month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes he had swim bladder.

My male betta, Honey, has had what appeared at first to be a color change going on for about a week now. His head went from blue to white and faded out. Now though, he has what appear to be scabs or burns. I’m not sure if they’re ammonia burns? I’m doing fish-in cycling but I’ve been testing the water every day and changing it every time it gets to .25 ppm ammonia or nitrite and adding prime, basically everything the tutorial on this site says. I bought Amguard because I was worried about the ammonia and I’m not sure if it’s been helping. Pics are attached, sorry they’re not the best quality my phone is crappy. But you can still see the scabby things I’m talking about. How can I treat him? What is this? Should I take him out of the divided tank? Is it contagious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
375 Posts
Here’s my form:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20 divided
Does it have a filter? Yes 4 sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yes 2 50w heaters
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? It’s a divided tank so there’s a female betta and a snail in the other sections.

Food:
What food brand do you use? New life spectrum
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No but i often feed frozen and live
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, 3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Daily, I am doing a fish-in cycle (almost done)
What percentage of water did you change? 25-50% depending on water parameters. I am following the two-sentence cycling tutorial guideline from this forum.
What is the source of your water? Distilled water remineralized with Seachem Equilibrium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Just dip out water
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime, API Quick Start, Seachem Amguard, Fritz Darkwater, Seachem Stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His head has gotten more white (he’s a Stars and Stripes) and then now appears to have scabs on it
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn’t
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, he had swim bladder when I purchased him
How long have you owned your Betta? About a month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes he had swim bladder.

My male betta, Honey, has had what appeared at first to be a color change going on for about a week now. His head went from blue to white and faded out. Now though, he has what appear to be scabs or burns. I’m not sure if they’re ammonia burns? I’m doing fish-in cycling but I’ve been testing the water every day and changing it every time it gets to .25 ppm ammonia or nitrite and adding prime, basically everything the tutorial on this site says. I bought Amguard because I was worried about the ammonia and I’m not sure if it’s been helping. Pics are attached, sorry they’re not the best quality my phone is crappy. But you can still see the scabby things I’m talking about. How can I treat him? What is this? Should I take him out of the divided tank? Is it contagious?

To give an acurate diagnosis it would be great if you could get a closer up photo to the gills. .25 may be a little low for ammonia burns, and I’ve had tanks that have gone there and no ammonia burns, but it’s still preferable to tackle the ammonia and nitrite issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To give an acurate diagnosis it would be great if you could get a closer up photo to the gills. .25 may be a little low for ammonia burns, and I’ve had tanks that have gone there and no ammonia burns, but it’s still preferable to tackle the ammonia and nitrite issue.

Sorry again for the quality, I tried my best but my camera has seen better days.

Does that help? I can use my moms phone and try and take better pictures in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I don't see Ammonia burns. Not sure what you mean by "scabs." He looks normal to me.

What I do see is a Betta that is too thin. Most Betta do well on 12 or so pellets per day divided over 3-4 meals.

You can add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea until the tank is the color below. As you are cycling, brewing a strong tea that you can store in the refrigerator would be more practical. If that's a scrape on his head he can benefit from the antibacterial and antifungal properties contained in both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see Ammonia burns. Not sure what you mean by "scabs." He looks normal to me.

What I do see is a Betta that is too thin. Most Betta do well on 12 or so pellets per day divided over 3-4 meals.

You can add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea until the tank is the color below. As you are cycling, brewing a strong tea that you can store in the refrigerator would be more practical. If that's a scrape on his head he can benefit from the antibacterial and antifungal properties contained in both.
By scabs I mean the red marks on the top of his head. They look like burns of some sort. Yes, I’ve noticed he’s too thin. I’ve been feeding him more than my other betta who appears fo be a normal weight. I’ll keep feeding him more then. I’ve already added IAL. How do I add Rooibos tea?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked up how to add Rooibos tea and will be adding it today. I hope it helps the wounds on his head. I’m not sure how he got them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a photo when you bought him? They look to be natural color.

I'm sure you've seen this but for any who haven't this is what Betta should look like from above.
View attachment 1029950
Here’s what he looked like a couple weeks ago. He was lightening but didn’t have the “scabs” or red spots on his head.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Still think it's color changing; however, to be safe, use IAL or plain Rooibos Tea to turn his water this color or darker. If there is something going on either will help prevent bacterial or fungal infections.
TankWithIAL.jpg

On another note: From his dorsal fin he appears to be a Double Tail (DeT). Because of their body shape, DeT require a bit more attention than other caudal types. I was advised by a breeder to feed my DeT three pellets four or five times per day to prevent bloat. Frozen is also a good option. But avoid Bloodworms except as a treat as they are fattening.

Edit: Completely forgot to ask if you've tested all of his decor, inside and out, with fine mesh cloth or nylons? Sometimes they feel smooth to us but the slightest little burr can scrape skin or snag fins.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Could what you are seeing a “new” color emerging? He has red coloring so could this just be normal color changing in the scales?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still think it's color changing; however, to be safe, use IAL or plain Rooibos Tea to turn his water this color or darker. If there is something going on either will help prevent bacterial or fungal infections.
View attachment 1029951

On another note: From his dorsal fin he appears to be a Double Tail (DeT). Because of their body shape, DeT require a bit more attention than other caudal types. I was advised by a breeder to feed my DeT three pellets four or five times per day to prevent bloat. Frozen is also a good option. But avoid Bloodworms except as a treat as they are fattening.

Edit: Completely forgot to ask if you've tested all of his decor, inside and out, with fine mesh cloth or nylons? Sometimes they feel smooth to us but the slightest little burr can scrape skin or snag fins.
I have added IAL And Rooibos tea and the water isn’t quite that dark but I’m working on it. I’ll feed him 4 times a day then. I have frozen, so can use that. Thanks for the advice. I have not tested his decorations. I’ll do that today. Maybe he injured himself on one of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could what you are seeing a “new” color emerging? He has red coloring so could this just be normal color changing in the scales?
It could be. It looks like a wound though. That’s why I’m concerned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts